Pirates notebook: No update on LHP Rodriguez's status
• Left-hander Wandy Rodriguez (left forearm tightness) was examined by orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. However, general manager Neal Huntington could not provide an update on Rodriguez's status. “We're still working on gathering the information from the doctors,” Huntington said.
• Outfielder Starling Marte was examined Monday by team doctors in Pittsburgh, and he saw hand specialist Dr. Tom Graham on Tuesday in Cleveland. All agreed surgery will not be necessary. Marte will be out until at least Sept. 3 with a bruise and ligament sprain in his right hand. “It's all going to be contingent on how quickly the swelling gets out of there,” Huntington said.
• Reliever Jared Hughes has been scored upon in each of his past two outings. The right-hander has allowed more than one run in four of his 23 appearances, although he has allowed only one of 11 inherited runners to score. “I'd like to see more consistency with his sinker,” manager Clint Hurdle said. “We've seen some good things, but the consistency hasn't been what it's been in the past.”
• Right-handers Tyler Waldron and Zach Thornton, infielders Alen Hanson and Gift Ngoepe, and outfielder Alex Dickerson will represent the Pirates in the Arizona Fall League. The Pirates also can send two additional pitchers. Hanson is ranked 41st among MLB.com's top 100 prospects. The 20-year-old shortstop hit .281 at High-A Bradenton and .225 at Double-A Altoona. The Scottsdale Scorpions comprise minor leaguers from the Pirates, Mets, Yankees, Braves and Giants.
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Gameday: Pirates vs./at Opponent, Month Day, Year
- Marte’s bat, Worley’s arm show improvement in Pirates win
- Pirates sign Harrison to new deal that could stretch to 6 seasons, $50.3M
- Pirates get ready to face Brewers pitcher Nelson, hope for better results
- Pirates notebook: Kang debut must wait another game
- Bench player Lambo is finding his place in majors with Pirates
- Biertempfel: Reds’ Hamilton presents unique challenge to Pirates pitchers
- Pirates love home cooking provided at PNC Park
- Pirates drop opener against Reds on Frazier’s 8th-inning HR
- Pirates’ Harrison crosses another milestone off list