Pirates notebook: No update on LHP Rodriguez's status
• Left-hander Wandy Rodriguez (left forearm tightness) was examined by orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. However, general manager Neal Huntington could not provide an update on Rodriguez's status. “We're still working on gathering the information from the doctors,” Huntington said.
• Outfielder Starling Marte was examined Monday by team doctors in Pittsburgh, and he saw hand specialist Dr. Tom Graham on Tuesday in Cleveland. All agreed surgery will not be necessary. Marte will be out until at least Sept. 3 with a bruise and ligament sprain in his right hand. “It's all going to be contingent on how quickly the swelling gets out of there,” Huntington said.
• Reliever Jared Hughes has been scored upon in each of his past two outings. The right-hander has allowed more than one run in four of his 23 appearances, although he has allowed only one of 11 inherited runners to score. “I'd like to see more consistency with his sinker,” manager Clint Hurdle said. “We've seen some good things, but the consistency hasn't been what it's been in the past.”
• Right-handers Tyler Waldron and Zach Thornton, infielders Alen Hanson and Gift Ngoepe, and outfielder Alex Dickerson will represent the Pirates in the Arizona Fall League. The Pirates also can send two additional pitchers. Hanson is ranked 41st among MLB.com's top 100 prospects. The 20-year-old shortstop hit .281 at High-A Bradenton and .225 at Double-A Altoona. The Scottsdale Scorpions comprise minor leaguers from the Pirates, Mets, Yankees, Braves and Giants.
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Kang among Pirates’ best at extending at-bats