Scouting Monday's Pirates-Brewers game
• Second baseman Scooter Gennett was named the Brewers' player of the month for August after hitting .423 with four home runs and nine RBI in 23 games. The rookie, who is in his fourth stint with the Brewers this season, took a six-game hitting streak into Sunday's game that includes a 6-for-12 performance in three games against the Pirates last week.
• Charlie Morton earned his first career win over the Brewers last week in Pittsburgh. He is 1-4 with a 5.17 ERA in eight career starts against Milwaukee, including a 1-0 record in two starts this year. Overall, Morton has been charged with three or fewer earned runs in 12 of 14 starts this season.
• The Brewers are in the midst of a stretch in which 32 of 35 games are against NL Central opponents. Likewise, Monday will be the seventh game out of 12 in a row in which the Pirates will play fellow Central teams. Following a three-game series at Texas, 13 of their final 17 are against division opponents.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Pirates notebook: Decker leaves game with calf injury
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Braves 2
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Starting 9: As franchise values soar, do owners hold or sell?
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 3
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- MLB commissioner: Pirates’ success starts in the front office
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts