Scouting Monday's Pirates-Brewers game
• Second baseman Scooter Gennett was named the Brewers' player of the month for August after hitting .423 with four home runs and nine RBI in 23 games. The rookie, who is in his fourth stint with the Brewers this season, took a six-game hitting streak into Sunday's game that includes a 6-for-12 performance in three games against the Pirates last week.
• Charlie Morton earned his first career win over the Brewers last week in Pittsburgh. He is 1-4 with a 5.17 ERA in eight career starts against Milwaukee, including a 1-0 record in two starts this year. Overall, Morton has been charged with three or fewer earned runs in 12 of 14 starts this season.
• The Brewers are in the midst of a stretch in which 32 of 35 games are against NL Central opponents. Likewise, Monday will be the seventh game out of 12 in a row in which the Pirates will play fellow Central teams. Following a three-game series at Texas, 13 of their final 17 are against division opponents.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates make 6 September call-ups
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 1, 2015
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM
- Starting 9: Pirates place renewed emphasis on nabbing base-stealers
- Pirates notebook: Burnett encouraged by extended simulated game
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors