Scouting Monday's Pirates-Brewers game
• Second baseman Scooter Gennett was named the Brewers' player of the month for August after hitting .423 with four home runs and nine RBI in 23 games. The rookie, who is in his fourth stint with the Brewers this season, took a six-game hitting streak into Sunday's game that includes a 6-for-12 performance in three games against the Pirates last week.
• Charlie Morton earned his first career win over the Brewers last week in Pittsburgh. He is 1-4 with a 5.17 ERA in eight career starts against Milwaukee, including a 1-0 record in two starts this year. Overall, Morton has been charged with three or fewer earned runs in 12 of 14 starts this season.
• The Brewers are in the midst of a stretch in which 32 of 35 games are against NL Central opponents. Likewise, Monday will be the seventh game out of 12 in a row in which the Pirates will play fellow Central teams. Following a three-game series at Texas, 13 of their final 17 are against division opponents.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment
- Pirates to end spring in Philadelphia again, sign Stinson to minor league deal