Scouting Monday's Pirates-Brewers game
• Second baseman Scooter Gennett was named the Brewers' player of the month for August after hitting .423 with four home runs and nine RBI in 23 games. The rookie, who is in his fourth stint with the Brewers this season, took a six-game hitting streak into Sunday's game that includes a 6-for-12 performance in three games against the Pirates last week.
• Charlie Morton earned his first career win over the Brewers last week in Pittsburgh. He is 1-4 with a 5.17 ERA in eight career starts against Milwaukee, including a 1-0 record in two starts this year. Overall, Morton has been charged with three or fewer earned runs in 12 of 14 starts this season.
• The Brewers are in the midst of a stretch in which 32 of 35 games are against NL Central opponents. Likewise, Monday will be the seventh game out of 12 in a row in which the Pirates will play fellow Central teams. Following a three-game series at Texas, 13 of their final 17 are against division opponents.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 4 ejections, benches-clearing scrum mark Pirates’ win over Reds
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 3, 2015
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Pirates farmhand Suchy learns limits of his size, strength
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, Aug. 2, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson