Scouting Tuesday's Pirates-Brewers game
• The Brewers will be the first team Gerrit Cole has faced three times in his young career. Thus far, the Brewers have gotten the better of Cole, posting a .932 OPS against the rookie. Cole was inconsistent with fastball command in his last start and is working on throwing more two-seam fastballs. Cole's breaking ball consistency also remains a work in progress. Look to see if Hurdle again pairs the veteran catcher John Buck with Cole. Buck was Matt Harvey's personal catcher in New York.
• Brewers starter Yovani Gallardo threw seven shutout innings against the Pirates last week, but that was before the addition of Justin Morneau, who has four hits, and two doubles, in eight career at bats against Gallardo.
• Pirates manager Clint Hurdle has a variety of new lineup options with the additions of Morneau and Marlon Byrd but he wants to limit experimentation. “I've got a couple of different (options) but I do like consistency,” Hurdle said. “I like that we have made up clear-cut roles.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Pirates expect high prices in trade market
- Pirates notebook: Mercer welcomes chance in No. 2 spot
- Pirates’ Worley tosses 4-hit shutout vs. Giants
- Thinking outside box slows pace of MLB games
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle, Huntington on same page
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants
- Pirates complete sweep of Rockies with comeback win at PNC