Scouting Tuesday's Pirates-Brewers game
• The Brewers will be the first team Gerrit Cole has faced three times in his young career. Thus far, the Brewers have gotten the better of Cole, posting a .932 OPS against the rookie. Cole was inconsistent with fastball command in his last start and is working on throwing more two-seam fastballs. Cole's breaking ball consistency also remains a work in progress. Look to see if Hurdle again pairs the veteran catcher John Buck with Cole. Buck was Matt Harvey's personal catcher in New York.
• Brewers starter Yovani Gallardo threw seven shutout innings against the Pirates last week, but that was before the addition of Justin Morneau, who has four hits, and two doubles, in eight career at bats against Gallardo.
• Pirates manager Clint Hurdle has a variety of new lineup options with the additions of Morneau and Marlon Byrd but he wants to limit experimentation. “I've got a couple of different (options) but I do like consistency,” Hurdle said. “I like that we have made up clear-cut roles.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates SS prospect Tucker making progress after thumb surgery
- For Pirates, NL Central test just got tougher
- Pirates shift times on 5 games, including rescheduling 2 fireworks nights
- Pirates officially sign Korean shortstop Kang
- Pirates starting pitcher Morton fine-tunes his delivery after surgery
- Pirates notebook: For Holdzkom, a whole new world
- Pirates sign 9 to yearlong deals; 3 going to arbitration