Scouting Tuesday's Pirates-Brewers game
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Monday, Sept. 2, 2013, 11:07 p.m.
• The Brewers will be the first team Gerrit Cole has faced three times in his young career. Thus far, the Brewers have gotten the better of Cole, posting a .932 OPS against the rookie. Cole was inconsistent with fastball command in his last start and is working on throwing more two-seam fastballs. Cole's breaking ball consistency also remains a work in progress. Look to see if Hurdle again pairs the veteran catcher John Buck with Cole. Buck was Matt Harvey's personal catcher in New York.
• Brewers starter Yovani Gallardo threw seven shutout innings against the Pirates last week, but that was before the addition of Justin Morneau, who has four hits, and two doubles, in eight career at bats against Gallardo.
• Pirates manager Clint Hurdle has a variety of new lineup options with the additions of Morneau and Marlon Byrd but he wants to limit experimentation. “I've got a couple of different (options) but I do like consistency,” Hurdle said. “I like that we have made up clear-cut roles.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Three ejected after Pirates, Brewers brawl
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle standing behind Grilli
- Scouting Pirates-Reds matchup
- Davis embraces new opportunity with Pirates
- Bucco Blog: Travis Sawchik
- Stats Corner: Pirates’ Volquez cruising through innings
- Biertempfel: Kendall’s book offers inside look at life in majors
- Pair of Braun homers spells defeat for Pirates
- Pirates minor league notebook: Mt. Lebanon grad keeping steady approach
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Stewart activated; Sanchez demoted
- Pirates notebook: Players show support for Franklin Regional