Scouting Wednesday's Pirates-Brewers game
• Pirates left-hander Francisco Liriano has faced the Brewers twice this season and has allowed two runs in 112⁄3 innings. One Brewer who has had success against Liriano is Carlos Gomez, who is batting .500 (7 for 14) with two homers against him in his career.
• The Pirates have little experience against 24-year-old Brewers starter Wily Peralta. John Buck and Justin Morneau have five combined at-bats against Peralta, and that is all the Pirates' experience versus one of the Brewers' better young arms. Peralta has a big arm, with a fastball that averages 94.7 mph.
Morneau was inserted into the cleanup spot for the first time as a Pirate on Tuesday. Pedro Alvarez was not in the lineup. Morneau might be a better fit in the key RBI spot as his strikeout rate (18 percent) is nearly half that of Alvarez's K-rate (32 percent).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen returns to starting lineup; Alvarez out
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Harrison shines again as Pirates clip Reds, 2-1
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Pirates edge Reds, 3-2, for 4th consecutive victory