Scouting Wednesday's Pirates-Brewers game
• Pirates left-hander Francisco Liriano has faced the Brewers twice this season and has allowed two runs in 11 2⁄3 innings. One Brewer who has had success against Liriano is Carlos Gomez, who is batting .500 (7 for 14) with two homers against him in his career.
• The Pirates have little experience against 24-year-old Brewers starter Wily Peralta. John Buck and Justin Morneau have five combined at-bats against Peralta, and that is all the Pirates' experience versus one of the Brewers' better young arms. Peralta has a big arm, with a fastball that averages 94.7 mph.
Morneau was inserted into the cleanup spot for the first time as a Pirate on Tuesday. Pedro Alvarez was not in the lineup. Morneau might be a better fit in the key RBI spot as his strikeout rate (18 percent) is nearly half that of Alvarez's K-rate (32 percent).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rain postpones Pirates-Cubs game
- Pirates notebook: Trade movement confidence booster for Morse
- Pirates pitcher Burnett could return in 4 weeks
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 4, 2015
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 3, 2015
- 4 ejections, benches-clearing scrum mark Pirates’ win over Reds
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria