Scouting Wednesday's Pirates-Brewers game
• Pirates left-hander Francisco Liriano has faced the Brewers twice this season and has allowed two runs in 11 2⁄3 innings. One Brewer who has had success against Liriano is Carlos Gomez, who is batting .500 (7 for 14) with two homers against him in his career.
• The Pirates have little experience against 24-year-old Brewers starter Wily Peralta. John Buck and Justin Morneau have five combined at-bats against Peralta, and that is all the Pirates' experience versus one of the Brewers' better young arms. Peralta has a big arm, with a fastball that averages 94.7 mph.
Morneau was inserted into the cleanup spot for the first time as a Pirate on Tuesday. Pedro Alvarez was not in the lineup. Morneau might be a better fit in the key RBI spot as his strikeout rate (18 percent) is nearly half that of Alvarez's K-rate (32 percent).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates notebook: Trade talks continue, but no deals imminent
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- Pirates GM Huntington shifts focus to bullpen help
- Pirates’ struggling catcher Sanchez sent home from Dominican Winter League
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end