Scouting Wednesday's Pirates-Brewers game
• Pirates left-hander Francisco Liriano has faced the Brewers twice this season and has allowed two runs in 112⁄3 innings. One Brewer who has had success against Liriano is Carlos Gomez, who is batting .500 (7 for 14) with two homers against him in his career.
• The Pirates have little experience against 24-year-old Brewers starter Wily Peralta. John Buck and Justin Morneau have five combined at-bats against Peralta, and that is all the Pirates' experience versus one of the Brewers' better young arms. Peralta has a big arm, with a fastball that averages 94.7 mph.
Morneau was inserted into the cleanup spot for the first time as a Pirate on Tuesday. Pedro Alvarez was not in the lineup. Morneau might be a better fit in the key RBI spot as his strikeout rate (18 percent) is nearly half that of Alvarez's K-rate (32 percent).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Statistically speaking: Rockies’ bullpen suffering meltdowns
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Pirates notebook: Polanco, Puig held out of series opener
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Outfielder Polanco driving force for Pirates in victory over Dodgers