Scouting Wednesday's Pirates-Brewers game
• Pirates left-hander Francisco Liriano has faced the Brewers twice this season and has allowed two runs in 11 2⁄3 innings. One Brewer who has had success against Liriano is Carlos Gomez, who is batting .500 (7 for 14) with two homers against him in his career.
• The Pirates have little experience against 24-year-old Brewers starter Wily Peralta. John Buck and Justin Morneau have five combined at-bats against Peralta, and that is all the Pirates' experience versus one of the Brewers' better young arms. Peralta has a big arm, with a fastball that averages 94.7 mph.
Morneau was inserted into the cleanup spot for the first time as a Pirate on Tuesday. Pedro Alvarez was not in the lineup. Morneau might be a better fit in the key RBI spot as his strikeout rate (18 percent) is nearly half that of Alvarez's K-rate (32 percent).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates claim Ishikawa off waivers; Marte injured
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Biertempfel: Loss of All-Star paper ballots a blow to nostalgia
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Pirates trust eye test when voting for all-stars
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 5, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 4, 2015