Scouting Friday's Pirates-Cardinals game
• A.J. Burnett was excellent in his last start against the Cardinals, allowing one run over seven innings Saturday. The performance put to rest some concerns that the 36-year-old is wearing down in the second half of the season. Burnett produced a 3.79 ERA in August, the second-highest monthly ERA of his season. Burnett also posted a 5.18 ERA in August 2012. The Pirates hope the start was the sign of a strong finish by Burnett.
• Cardinals undersized flamethrower Joe Kelly shut down the Pirates last Sunday. Kelly doesn't have great off-speed pitches — he averages just six strikeouts per nine innings — but Kelly averages 95 mph with his fastball.
• The Cardinals will miss Francisco Liriano this weekend, who is 3-0 with two earned runs in 24 innings against St. Louis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves
- Pirates pitcher Morton turns in solid performance in win over Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 26, 2015
- Pirates reassign Liz to make roster room for Morton
- Pirates notebook: Substance rule a sticky subject
- Starter Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates to series sweep of Mets
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 25, 2014
- Alvarez’s homer into river not enough for Pirates in loss to Twins
- Cole outduels Mets rookie, carries Pirates to victory
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak
- Pirates chase Mets’ Harvey early in rout