Scouting Friday's Pirates-Cardinals game
• A.J. Burnett was excellent in his last start against the Cardinals, allowing one run over seven innings Saturday. The performance put to rest some concerns that the 36-year-old is wearing down in the second half of the season. Burnett produced a 3.79 ERA in August, the second-highest monthly ERA of his season. Burnett also posted a 5.18 ERA in August 2012. The Pirates hope the start was the sign of a strong finish by Burnett.
• Cardinals undersized flamethrower Joe Kelly shut down the Pirates last Sunday. Kelly doesn't have great off-speed pitches — he averages just six strikeouts per nine innings — but Kelly averages 95 mph with his fastball.
• The Cardinals will miss Francisco Liriano this weekend, who is 3-0 with two earned runs in 24 innings against St. Louis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates tender deals to 11 players, cut ties with Sanchez
- Rossi: Liriano deal good start for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- Pirates finalize Liriano’s 3-year, $39 million deal