Scouting Friday's Pirates-Cardinals game
• A.J. Burnett was excellent in his last start against the Cardinals, allowing one run over seven innings Saturday. The performance put to rest some concerns that the 36-year-old is wearing down in the second half of the season. Burnett produced a 3.79 ERA in August, the second-highest monthly ERA of his season. Burnett also posted a 5.18 ERA in August 2012. The Pirates hope the start was the sign of a strong finish by Burnett.
• Cardinals undersized flamethrower Joe Kelly shut down the Pirates last Sunday. Kelly doesn't have great off-speed pitches — he averages just six strikeouts per nine innings — but Kelly averages 95 mph with his fastball.
• The Cardinals will miss Francisco Liriano this weekend, who is 3-0 with two earned runs in 24 innings against St. Louis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Stats speak: Pirates’ patience key vs. Cincy’s Simon, Cueto
- Pirates set sights on making postseason play ‘an every-year deal’
- Pirates bench coach Banister interviews for Astros manager job
- Tekulve to throw out 1st pitch of Pirates’ postseason