Scouting Friday's Pirates-Cardinals game
• A.J. Burnett was excellent in his last start against the Cardinals, allowing one run over seven innings Saturday. The performance put to rest some concerns that the 36-year-old is wearing down in the second half of the season. Burnett produced a 3.79 ERA in August, the second-highest monthly ERA of his season. Burnett also posted a 5.18 ERA in August 2012. The Pirates hope the start was the sign of a strong finish by Burnett.
• Cardinals undersized flamethrower Joe Kelly shut down the Pirates last Sunday. Kelly doesn't have great off-speed pitches — he averages just six strikeouts per nine innings — but Kelly averages 95 mph with his fastball.
• The Cardinals will miss Francisco Liriano this weekend, who is 3-0 with two earned runs in 24 innings against St. Louis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Pirates farmhand Suchy learns limits of his size, strength
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, Aug. 2, 2015
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015