Scouting Friday's Pirates-Cardinals game
• A.J. Burnett was excellent in his last start against the Cardinals, allowing one run over seven innings Saturday. The performance put to rest some concerns that the 36-year-old is wearing down in the second half of the season. Burnett produced a 3.79 ERA in August, the second-highest monthly ERA of his season. Burnett also posted a 5.18 ERA in August 2012. The Pirates hope the start was the sign of a strong finish by Burnett.
• Cardinals undersized flamethrower Joe Kelly shut down the Pirates last Sunday. Kelly doesn't have great off-speed pitches — he averages just six strikeouts per nine innings — but Kelly averages 95 mph with his fastball.
• The Cardinals will miss Francisco Liriano this weekend, who is 3-0 with two earned runs in 24 innings against St. Louis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- Bush Center displays rare Honus Wagner baseball card
- Gameday: Pirates at Detroit, July 1, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Cervelli gets 1st career DH start
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Pirates grind out extra-inning win against testy Tigers
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, June 30, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Pitchers’ ploys force Kang to adapt
- Pirates minor league report: Kramer comes with power potential with short-season Black Bears
- Liriano dominates former team as Pirates rout White Sox
- Long toss is considered valuable tool for MLB pitchers’ arm health