Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Pirates beat reporterRob Biertempfel's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Although the Pirates are in the middle of the pack when it comes to hitting HRs (136, which ranks seventh in the NL), they lead the league with 78 HRs in road games. Since the start of the 2012 season, the Pirates have hit a league-high 181 HRs away from PNC Park. Coming into this series, the Pirates had out-homered the Cardinals, 18-3. 3B Pedro Alvarez has 32 HR, which is two shy of the club record for a third baseman, set in ‘01 by Aramis Ramirez.
• Locke is 1-0 with a 3.27 ERA in two starts against the Cardinals this year. In April, The left-hander scattered three hits over seven innings in a 9-0 victory at Busch Stadium. On July 31, Locke gave up four runs on 10 hits in four innings and got a no-decision when the Pirates rallied for a 5-4 win.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates grind out extra-inning win against testy Tigers
- Bush Center displays rare Honus Wagner baseball card
- Pirates notebook: Cervelli gets 1st career DH start
- Gameday: Pirates at Detroit, July 1, 2015
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, June 30, 2015
- Starkey: Cervelli’s inspiration
- Pirates notebook: Power shortage continues, Tabata designated for assignment
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s slides under scrutiny
- Biertempfel: Pirates’ Burnett makes pitch for All-Star Game in final season