Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Published: Friday, Sept. 6, 2013, 7:12 p.m.
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Although the Pirates are in the middle of the pack when it comes to hitting HRs (136, which ranks seventh in the NL), they lead the league with 78 HRs in road games. Since the start of the 2012 season, the Pirates have hit a league-high 181 HRs away from PNC Park. Coming into this series, the Pirates had out-homered the Cardinals, 18-3. 3B Pedro Alvarez has 32 HR, which is two shy of the club record for a third baseman, set in ‘01 by Aramis Ramirez.
• Locke is 1-0 with a 3.27 ERA in two starts against the Cardinals this year. In April, The left-hander scattered three hits over seven innings in a 9-0 victory at Busch Stadium. On July 31, Locke gave up four runs on 10 hits in four innings and got a no-decision when the Pirates rallied for a 5-4 win.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sign 7 players to minor league contracts
- Pirates talk to Mets about trading for first baseman Davis
- Pirates claim 3 pitchers in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Pirates notebook: Closer Grilli open to contract extension
- PirateFest turns into lovefest
- Morton says Pirates’ faith led to him staying in Pittsburgh
- Barmes, Volquez officially sign with Pirates; Sands, Reid designated for assignment