Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Although the Pirates are in the middle of the pack when it comes to hitting HRs (136, which ranks seventh in the NL), they lead the league with 78 HRs in road games. Since the start of the 2012 season, the Pirates have hit a league-high 181 HRs away from PNC Park. Coming into this series, the Pirates had out-homered the Cardinals, 18-3. 3B Pedro Alvarez has 32 HR, which is two shy of the club record for a third baseman, set in ‘01 by Aramis Ramirez.
• Locke is 1-0 with a 3.27 ERA in two starts against the Cardinals this year. In April, The left-hander scattered three hits over seven innings in a 9-0 victory at Busch Stadium. On July 31, Locke gave up four runs on 10 hits in four innings and got a no-decision when the Pirates rallied for a 5-4 win.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates’ Banister named finalist for Rangers’ managing job
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Pirates notebook: Nutting says team may ‘stretch’ for Martin
- Pirates GM Huntington believes his coaching staff will return intact
- Pirates are solid at shortstop with the durable Mercer in play
- Pirates face mound of decisions in offseason