Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Although the Pirates are in the middle of the pack when it comes to hitting HRs (136, which ranks seventh in the NL), they lead the league with 78 HRs in road games. Since the start of the 2012 season, the Pirates have hit a league-high 181 HRs away from PNC Park. Coming into this series, the Pirates had out-homered the Cardinals, 18-3. 3B Pedro Alvarez has 32 HR, which is two shy of the club record for a third baseman, set in ‘01 by Aramis Ramirez.
• Locke is 1-0 with a 3.27 ERA in two starts against the Cardinals this year. In April, The left-hander scattered three hits over seven innings in a 9-0 victory at Busch Stadium. On July 31, Locke gave up four runs on 10 hits in four innings and got a no-decision when the Pirates rallied for a 5-4 win.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Saturday’s scouting report: Reds at Pirates
- Harrison shines again as Pirates clip Reds, 2-1
- Pirates starting pitcher Cole growing in his 1st full major-league season
- Statistically speaking: Can Pirates contain Hamilton on bases
- Pirates send Polanco to Triple-A Indianapolis; Tabata, Barmes return
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Friday’s scouting report: Reds at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Barmes back, gets start at SS
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Coonelly confident of single-season attendance record