Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Pirates beat reporterRob Biertempfel's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Although the Pirates are in the middle of the pack when it comes to hitting HRs (136, which ranks seventh in the NL), they lead the league with 78 HRs in road games. Since the start of the 2012 season, the Pirates have hit a league-high 181 HRs away from PNC Park. Coming into this series, the Pirates had out-homered the Cardinals, 18-3. 3B Pedro Alvarez has 32 HR, which is two shy of the club record for a third baseman, set in ‘01 by Aramis Ramirez.
• Locke is 1-0 with a 3.27 ERA in two starts against the Cardinals this year. In April, The left-hander scattered three hits over seven innings in a 9-0 victory at Busch Stadium. On July 31, Locke gave up four runs on 10 hits in four innings and got a no-decision when the Pirates rallied for a 5-4 win.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Ailing Mercer sore but on mend
- Burnett’s evolution from thrower to pitcher helps him stay on top of his game
- Pirates love home cooking provided at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: GM sticking to plan with Kang
- Rossi: The only Alvarez we know is a slugger
- Rossi: After home opener, Pirates fans must show
- Cubs third baseman Bryant is looking to buck MLB rookie trend
- Cubs’ rookie third baseman Bryant helps send Pirates to defeat
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, April 21, 2015