Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Although the Pirates are in the middle of the pack when it comes to hitting HRs (136, which ranks seventh in the NL), they lead the league with 78 HRs in road games. Since the start of the 2012 season, the Pirates have hit a league-high 181 HRs away from PNC Park. Coming into this series, the Pirates had out-homered the Cardinals, 18-3. 3B Pedro Alvarez has 32 HR, which is two shy of the club record for a third baseman, set in ‘01 by Aramis Ramirez.
• Locke is 1-0 with a 3.27 ERA in two starts against the Cardinals this year. In April, The left-hander scattered three hits over seven innings in a 9-0 victory at Busch Stadium. On July 31, Locke gave up four runs on 10 hits in four innings and got a no-decision when the Pirates rallied for a 5-4 win.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- Pirates trade Davis to A’s for international signing bonus money
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- Pirates notebook: Team offered catcher Martin 4-year contract
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- Pirates ready to protect top pitching prospects from Rule 5 draft
- Pirates must weigh risk, reward in attempt to sign Martin
- Martin agrees to 5-year, $82 million deal with Blue Jays