Pirates' 2014 schedule opens at home against Cubs
ARLINGTON, Texas — The Pirates will open the 2014 season March 31 at PNC Park against the Chicago Cubs. The complete schedule for next year was released Tuesday by Major League Baseball.
It will be the third consecutive year the Pirates begin the season at home.
The Pirates will play home interleague games against the Boston Red Sox, Baltimore Orioles, Detroit Tigers and Toronto Blue Jays. The Pirates will go on the road to face the Orioles, New York Yankees, Tigers and Tampa Bay Rays.
The opener against the Cubs is part of a week-long, six-game home stand which includes three weekend games against the St. Louis Cardinals. After that, the Pirates will hit the road for nine games against NL Central foes, the Cubs, Milwaukee Brewers and Cincinnati Reds.
September could be a grueling month for the Pirates, as they will play only nine home games. That will be comprised of a single home stand against the Cubs, Red Sox and Brewers from Sept. 12-21.
The Pirates will wrap up the regular season with a seven-game road trip to Atlanta (four games) and Cincinnati.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates rout Cardinals to keep things interesting in NL Central
- Pirates notebook: Burnett continues to progress, amps up to 95-pitch simulated game
- Pirates reliever Liz new, improved
- Gameday: Pirates at Cardinals, September 5, 2015
- Young guns lead way into pivotal Pirates-Cardinals series
- Liriano struggles as Brewers complete sweep of Pirates
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen takes NL Player of the Month for 4th time
- Pirates, Marlins in talks to play 2016 game in Puerto Rico
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- Pirates notebook: Delivery adjustment helps left-hander Happ
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins