Pirates' 2014 schedule opens at home against Cubs
ARLINGTON, Texas — The Pirates will open the 2014 season March 31 at PNC Park against the Chicago Cubs. The complete schedule for next year was released Tuesday by Major League Baseball.
It will be the third consecutive year the Pirates begin the season at home.
The Pirates will play home interleague games against the Boston Red Sox, Baltimore Orioles, Detroit Tigers and Toronto Blue Jays. The Pirates will go on the road to face the Orioles, New York Yankees, Tigers and Tampa Bay Rays.
The opener against the Cubs is part of a week-long, six-game home stand which includes three weekend games against the St. Louis Cardinals. After that, the Pirates will hit the road for nine games against NL Central foes, the Cubs, Milwaukee Brewers and Cincinnati Reds.
September could be a grueling month for the Pirates, as they will play only nine home games. That will be comprised of a single home stand against the Cubs, Red Sox and Brewers from Sept. 12-21.
The Pirates will wrap up the regular season with a seven-game road trip to Atlanta (four games) and Cincinnati.
Rob Biertempfel is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @BiertempfelTrib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- CF McCutchen returns to lineup, but Braves blast fast-fading Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle weighs trio at 1st base
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Braves at Pirates
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Braves at Pirates
- Pirates’ McCutchen expects to play Tuesday; Alvarez to start at 1B
- Pirates’ losing streak extended to 6 games