Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Cubs game
Pirates reporter Karen Price's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Cubs right-hander Scott Baker never has faced the Pirates, but he is familiar with first baseman Justin Morneau, and vice versa. The two were teammates in Minnesota from 2005 until 2012, when Baker had Tommy John surgery. Baker made eight rehab starts this season before his debut with the Cubs on Sept. 8 against Milwaukee, when he pitched five shutout innings (55 pitches) and allowed two hits.
• Gerrit Cole is making his first start against the Cubs. The 23-year-old is coming off a 1-0 win in Texas in which he outdueled Yu Darvish, striking out a career-high nine batters in his 17th major league start.
Thursday night marked the 22nd time this season the Pirates have won when scoring fewer than four runs. That's four more than they won last season when scoring four or fewer. Entering Friday's games, they were tied with the Braves in trailing only the Dodgers (26 wins) in that category.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after pitcher experienced elbow discomfort
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 7
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Pirates notebook: Sadler gets first Grapefruit start
- Pirates acquire ex-Marlins reliever