Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Cubs game
Pirates reporter Karen Price's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Cubs right-hander Scott Baker never has faced the Pirates, but he is familiar with first baseman Justin Morneau, and vice versa. The two were teammates in Minnesota from 2005 until 2012, when Baker had Tommy John surgery. Baker made eight rehab starts this season before his debut with the Cubs on Sept. 8 against Milwaukee, when he pitched five shutout innings (55 pitches) and allowed two hits.
• Gerrit Cole is making his first start against the Cubs. The 23-year-old is coming off a 1-0 win in Texas in which he outdueled Yu Darvish, striking out a career-high nine batters in his 17th major league start.
Thursday night marked the 22nd time this season the Pirates have won when scoring fewer than four runs. That's four more than they won last season when scoring four or fewer. Entering Friday's games, they were tied with the Braves in trailing only the Dodgers (26 wins) in that category.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves
- Pirates pitcher Morton turns in solid performance in win over Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 26, 2015
- Pirates reassign Liz to make roster room for Morton
- Pirates notebook: Substance rule a sticky subject
- Starter Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates to series sweep of Mets
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 25, 2014
- Alvarez’s homer into river not enough for Pirates in loss to Twins
- Cole outduels Mets rookie, carries Pirates to victory
- Pirates chase Mets’ Harvey early in rout
- Mauer’s 13th-inning homer spells doom for Pirates in home loss