Scouting Sunday's Pirates-Cubs game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Sunday's game:
• Pirates infielder Jordy Mercer had a career-high four hits Tuesday against the Rangers. Since the All-Star break, Mercer is batting .311 (41 for 132), the third-best mark on the team behind Andrew McCutchen (.373) and Gaby Sanchez (.316). Over his first dozen career games against the Cubs, Mercer hit .250 with .715 OPS.
• Cubs rookie OF Junior Lake appeared in his 51st game Friday and struck out as a pinch-hitter to snap a nine-game hitting streak. In his brief career, Lake already has four hitting streaks of seven games or more — making him the only active big leaguer to begin his career in that fashion. According to Elias, two active players had similar starts. In 2001, Ichiro Suzuki had streaks of 23 and 15 games, which amounts to four seven-game streaks. In 2000, Juan Pierre had a 16-gamer and a 15-gamer, which amounts to four seven-game streaks.
• During a recent Fox Sports West telecast, viewers were asked to vote on which team they'd like to see the Dodgers face in the National League Division Series. The Pirates garnered more than 70 percent of the vote.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Alvarez, Cole lead Pirates past Marlins
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Pirates erupt for 6-run 2nd, maul Marlins behind Locke, McCutchen
- Pirates notebook: Burnett’s simulated game goes well
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 27, 2015
- Lacking 2 of his pitches, Pirates’ Morton can’t find rhythm in loss to Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 26, 2015
- Mercer, Harrison likely to return vs. Giants, creating left-side logjam
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 24, 2015