Scouting Sunday's Pirates-Cubs game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Sunday's game:
• Pirates infielder Jordy Mercer had a career-high four hits Tuesday against the Rangers. Since the All-Star break, Mercer is batting .311 (41 for 132), the third-best mark on the team behind Andrew McCutchen (.373) and Gaby Sanchez (.316). Over his first dozen career games against the Cubs, Mercer hit .250 with .715 OPS.
• Cubs rookie OF Junior Lake appeared in his 51st game Friday and struck out as a pinch-hitter to snap a nine-game hitting streak. In his brief career, Lake already has four hitting streaks of seven games or more — making him the only active big leaguer to begin his career in that fashion. According to Elias, two active players had similar starts. In 2001, Ichiro Suzuki had streaks of 23 and 15 games, which amounts to four seven-game streaks. In 2000, Juan Pierre had a 16-gamer and a 15-gamer, which amounts to four seven-game streaks.
• During a recent Fox Sports West telecast, viewers were asked to vote on which team they'd like to see the Dodgers face in the National League Division Series. The Pirates garnered more than 70 percent of the vote.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Castillo’s debut underscores challenges in Cuban market
- Pirates hit 3 HRs in rout of Red Sox
- Thursday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle quiet on rotation plans
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Pirates notebook: Holdzkom’s wild ride continues
- Pirates notebook: Morton to start Tuesday against Red Sox
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa