Scouting Monday's Pirates-Padres game
Pirates beat reporterRob Biertempfel's inside look at Monday's game:
• A.J. Burnett has made eight career starts vs. the Padres and is 2-5 with a 4.44 ERA. Four weeks ago, Burnett snapped a personal three-game losing skid vs. San Diego by winning an 8-1 decision at Petco Park. Although his overall stats aren't impressive, Burnett did achieve one of his greatest feats against the Padres. On May 12, 2001, when he was with the Marlins, Burnett tossed a no-hitter in San Diego.
• Padres 2B Jedd Gyorko has 18 HRs, second in the majors among rookies. He leads all rookies with 43 extra-base hits. Gyorko has committed just four errors, which would be the fewest in MLB history for a rookie 2B with at least 100 games played in a season.
• To mark Roberto Clemente Day, players and coaches will visit Spring Hill Elementary School on Tuesday morning to deliver school supplies and equipment. Also, before the game Tuesday night, the team's Clemente Award winner and one player from each minor league affiliate will be feted for their community service.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates again approach Polanco about contract extension
- Pirates’ search for division title rests on starting rotation’s health
- Pirates notebook: Reliever Holdzkom among three players cut
- Steelers’ Tomlin, Pirates’ Hurdle share similar philosophy
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Reversing the field: Pirates continue to raid Yankees for hidden skill
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 7, Tigers 3
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Pirates notebook: Locke the choice to be 5th starter
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing