Scouting Monday's Pirates-Padres game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Monday's game:
• A.J. Burnett has made eight career starts vs. the Padres and is 2-5 with a 4.44 ERA. Four weeks ago, Burnett snapped a personal three-game losing skid vs. San Diego by winning an 8-1 decision at Petco Park. Although his overall stats aren't impressive, Burnett did achieve one of his greatest feats against the Padres. On May 12, 2001, when he was with the Marlins, Burnett tossed a no-hitter in San Diego.
• Padres 2B Jedd Gyorko has 18 HRs, second in the majors among rookies. He leads all rookies with 43 extra-base hits. Gyorko has committed just four errors, which would be the fewest in MLB history for a rookie 2B with at least 100 games played in a season.
• To mark Roberto Clemente Day, players and coaches will visit Spring Hill Elementary School on Tuesday morning to deliver school supplies and equipment. Also, before the game Tuesday night, the team's Clemente Award winner and one player from each minor league affiliate will be feted for their community service.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- Pirates trade Davis to A’s for international signing bonus money
- Pirates ready to protect top pitching prospects from Rule 5 draft
- Rossi: Pirates don’t need Alvarez at first base
- Scouts: Acquiring Cervelli from Yankees cost Pirates promising reliever
- Pirates notebook: Team offered catcher Martin 4-year contract