Scouting Tuesday's Pirates-Padres game
• Padres starter Eric Stults is still looking for his first win of the second half. He's 0-6 in 10 starts since the break, the longest losing streak of his career, despite six quality starts during that time. The 33-year-old left-hander has never faced the Pirates, and is 3-9 with a 4.91 ERA on the road this year.
• Six of the last nine runs scored by the Pirates going into Monday's game were thanks to solo home runs. Overall, the Pirates have hit 61 homers at PNC Park this season through Sunday's game, including 22 since the All-Star break. Andrew McCutchen has hit a home run against every team in the National League in his career except for the Padres.
• Padres 2B Jedd Gyorko expects to have about 1,400 family and friends at PNC Park for the four-game series this week. He came up with tickets for his family. “The rest can go online and buy them,” Gyorko said with a laugh. Gyorko grew up in Morgantown, W.Va., and played at West Virginia University.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cubs’ Arrieta, Pirates’ Cole leave batters with little margin for error
- How the Pirates put together another postseason contender
- Fans connect with their beloved Pirates through homemade signs
- NL wild-card game notebook: Pirates understand hype surrounding Cubs
- NL wild-game game players to watch
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- Maddon, Hurdle are the models for modern major-league managers
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Cubs’ youth movement pays dividends, leads to postseason berth
- Starkey: Searage, Pirates ultra-confident
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds, Oct. 4, 2015