Scouting Thursday's Pirates-Padres game
By Travis Sawchik
Published: Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2013, 7:45 p.m.
• Gerrit Cole has pitched like the ace of the Pirates' staff in September. In three starts this month, Cole has posted a 1.35 ERA and his best monthly strikeout rate (9.45 strikeouts per nine innings). Cole was masterful in both of his starts last week against the Rangers and Cubs. Despite already having thrown 231⁄3 more innings than last season, Cole has shown not signs of tiring. His fastball velocity remains in the mid to upper 90s, and his slider has improved.
• The Pirates have struggled against pitchers with curveballs this season — see: Andrew Cashner — and they face another such pitcher Thursday in Ian Kennedy. Kennedy threw seven shutout innings and struck out eight Pirates last month in a start at San Diego.
• Pirates lefty reliever Justin Wilson might be suffering from some arm fatigue as he had pitched only four times in September entering Wednesday, and manager Clint Hurdle has hinted that he's tried to avoid over-using Wilson.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Preview of Thursday’s Pirates-Reds game
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
- Preview of Wednesday’s Reds-Pirates game
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle familiar with Ike Davis’ lineage
- Pirates notebook: Rodriguez placed on DL, Hughes promoted
- Pirates trade for Mets first baseman Davis
- Preview of Tuesday’s Reds-Pirates game
- Pirates notebook: Walker’s razor a right-handed swing solution
- Biertempfel: Kendall’s book offers inside look at life in majors
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle standing behind Grilli
- Pitcher Cueto shuts down Pirates as Reds cruise to victory at PNC