Scouting Sunday's Pirates-Reds game
• With leadoff man and center fielder Shin-Soo Choo banged up from sliding into first base Friday, speed king Billy Hamilton will get the start in center field Sunday. Reds manager Dusty Baker started Derrick Robinson in center field Saturday because he thought Robinson had a better chance of handling “wily veteran” A.J. Burnett than Hamilton. With Jeff Locke on the mound for the Pirates, Baker said, it's a “kid facing a kid.”
• Locke is 2-0 with a 1.19 ERA in four career starts against the Reds. Both wins have come this season, and the 25-year-old left-hander also pitched seven scoreless innings in a 2-1, 13-inning loss in Cincinnati on June 19.
• Sunday is the last home game of the regular season, and the Pirates went into Saturday's game hoping to record 50 home wins for the 17th time in club history (since 1887). The 49 wins are already a PNC Park record, and the last time they won at least 50 at home was 1992 (53-28).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cardinals rough up Locke in 6-4 victory over Pirates
- Lambo no longer in limbo with Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Polanco says demotion to Indianapolis helped
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season