Scouting Sunday's Pirates-Reds game
• With leadoff man and center fielder Shin-Soo Choo banged up from sliding into first base Friday, speed king Billy Hamilton will get the start in center field Sunday. Reds manager Dusty Baker started Derrick Robinson in center field Saturday because he thought Robinson had a better chance of handling “wily veteran” A.J. Burnett than Hamilton. With Jeff Locke on the mound for the Pirates, Baker said, it's a “kid facing a kid.”
• Locke is 2-0 with a 1.19 ERA in four career starts against the Reds. Both wins have come this season, and the 25-year-old left-hander also pitched seven scoreless innings in a 2-1, 13-inning loss in Cincinnati on June 19.
• Sunday is the last home game of the regular season, and the Pirates went into Saturday's game hoping to record 50 home wins for the 17th time in club history (since 1887). The 49 wins are already a PNC Park record, and the last time they won at least 50 at home was 1992 (53-28).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Is it time for Kang to head to Indy?
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 19, 2015
- Biertempfel: Low turnover helps keep Pirates’ chemistry intact
- Pirates minor league report: Rapid advancement to test Tucker
- Pirates pitchers have margin for error, in mphs, and they need it
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 18, 2015
- Marte’s bat, Worley’s arm show improvement in Pirates win
- Pirates love home cooking provided at PNC Park
- Pirates get ready to face Brewers pitcher Nelson, hope for better results
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 17, 2015