Scouting Friday's Pirates-Reds game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 'sinside look at Friday's game:
• In his last outing, Francisco Liriano got his first no-decision in 17 starts this season. Liriano has made three career starts against the Reds — all coming this season, and all of them against Mike Leake — and is 0-3 with a 4.41 ERA. On June 1, Liriano racked up 11 strikeouts, including seven in a row, but was tagged with the loss in a 2-0 setback.
• Red and Pirates batters have been hit by pitches 22 times in their games this year, the third-highest total between two teams in the majors. Five Reds have been hit 11 times, including Shin-Soo Choo six times, and five Pirates batters have been hit 11 times, including Starling Marte four times and Andrew McCutchen three times.
• Reds 3B Todd Frazier is expecting a playoff atmosphere — complete with lower temperatures — this weekend at PNC Park. “Hopefully, it's a little nippy there,” Frazier said. “I love it like that. It keeps me in tune. Hopefully, it will be a packed house, a lot of craziness will happen and we come out with victories.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal