Scouting Friday's Pirates-Reds game
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, Sept. 20, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 'sinside look at Friday's game:
• In his last outing, Francisco Liriano got his first no-decision in 17 starts this season. Liriano has made three career starts against the Reds — all coming this season, and all of them against Mike Leake — and is 0-3 with a 4.41 ERA. On June 1, Liriano racked up 11 strikeouts, including seven in a row, but was tagged with the loss in a 2-0 setback.
• Red and Pirates batters have been hit by pitches 22 times in their games this year, the third-highest total between two teams in the majors. Five Reds have been hit 11 times, including Shin-Soo Choo six times, and five Pirates batters have been hit 11 times, including Starling Marte four times and Andrew McCutchen three times.
• Reds 3B Todd Frazier is expecting a playoff atmosphere — complete with lower temperatures — this weekend at PNC Park. “Hopefully, it's a little nippy there,” Frazier said. “I love it like that. It keeps me in tune. Hopefully, it will be a packed house, a lot of craziness will happen and we come out with victories.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade for Mets 1B Davis
- Pirates notebook: Players show support for Franklin Regional
- Pirates should exploit free-swinging Brewers
- Breaking down Saturday’s Pirates-Brewers game
- Pirates notebook: Walker’s razor a right-handed swing solution
- Patience pays off as starting pitcher Volquez gets 1st win for Pirates