Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Reds game
Homer Bailey has a six-game winning streak, the longest of his career. He has never lost at PNC Park (5-0) and owns a 1.40 ERA in Pittsburgh. He is 8-3 with a 2.66 ERA against the Pirates overall. Bailey is 0-1 in two games against the Pirates at Great American Ballpark this season.
• Marlon Byrd went into Friday's game batting 24 for 81 in 22 games since joining the Pirates, but he was only 2 for 15 in his previous four games. Byrd is a career .263 hitter against the Reds but entered the series 1 for 7 in two games against them this season.
Pirates and Reds batters have been hit by a pitch a total of 22 times, third-most between two teams this season. Entering Friday, each team had five batters hit a total of 11 times by eight pitchers. Reds outfielder Shin-Soo Choo had been hit the most (six times) followed by Starling Marte (four). Reds reliever Alfredo Simon had hit Pirates batters four times, while Jeanmar Gomez, Charlie Morton and Tony Watson had hit Reds batters twice.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Pirates face mound of decisions in offseason
- Pirates’ Banister named finalist for Rangers’ managing job
- Pirates GM Huntington believes his coaching staff will return intact
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates find a bridge at end of baseball world in Holdzkom