Scouting Monday's Pirates-Cubs game
By Travis Sawchik
Published: Monday, Sept. 23, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Charlie Morton needs to get back his split-changeup to combat left-handed hitters. Morton has been a two-pitch pitcher — sinker and curveball — for much of the season without an offering to neutralize left-handed hitters. Lefties are hitting .310 against Morton this season, righties .226. Morton has had little confidence in the changeup, but the Cubs stacked the lineup with six left-handed batters against Morton earlier this month (5 IP, 3 ER).
• Jeff Samardzija has authored two excellent starts against the Pirates this season and two shaky ones, but he has held current Pirates to a .213 batting average over 155 combined career at-bats. Samardzija's fastball averages 94.5 mph, one of the top average velocities in baseball.
The Reds' Billy Hamilton has impacted the NL Central race with three game-tying or winning runs and 11 steals, the most steals in baseball, since being called up Sept. 3.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates sign free agent pitcher Volquez
- Pirates not yet talking extensions with Alvarez, Walker
- Pirates general manager Huntington is searching for right player, deal
- First base options thinning as winter meetings go on
- Pirates sign Morton to 3-year extension
- Pirates will shop while starting pitcher Burnett makes his decision
- Pirates notebook: Huntington narrows team’s offseason targets
- Pirates notebook: Polanco ruled out as Opening Day option