Scouting Sunday's Pirates-Reds game
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Sunday, Sept. 29, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Brandon Cumpton last pitched Sept. 22, when he scattered three hits over three scoreless innings. He has made four starts, most recently Aug. 30 in the second game of a doubleheader against the Cardinals at PNC Park. He went 6-8 with a 3.62 ERA in 23 games (21 starts) between Double-A Altoona and Triple-A Indianapolis this year.
• Reds first baseman Joey Votto has reached base 316 times via a hit, walk or HBP to lead the majors. On Friday, he tied and then broke Pete Rose's franchise record for times on base with a single in the first inning and another in the ninth. Votto and Rose are the only players in Reds history to reach base 300 times in a season via only hits and walks.
Pirates closer Jason Grilli realizes it's been a long wait for the Pirates to get back into the playoffs. So if the team should win the World Series, no ordinary ring will do. “I want it to be the size of a hood ornament,” Grilli said. “I don't want to wear it on my finger. I want to have to put it on my car.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 3 ejected after Pirates, Brewers brawl
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle standing behind Grilli
- Scouting Pirates-Reds matchup
- Biertempfel: Kendall’s book offers inside look at life in majors
- Davis embraces new opportunity with Pirates
- Pirates trade for Mets first baseman Davis
- Pirates notebook: Players show support for Franklin Regional
- Bucco Blog: Travis Sawchik
- Pirates minor league notebook: Mt. Lebanon grad keeping steady approach
- Pirates notebook: Liriano throws off mound with no issues
- Melancon continues to baffle opposing hitters