Scouting Sunday's Pirates-Reds game
Brandon Cumpton last pitched Sept. 22, when he scattered three hits over three scoreless innings. He has made four starts, most recently Aug. 30 in the second game of a doubleheader against the Cardinals at PNC Park. He went 6-8 with a 3.62 ERA in 23 games (21 starts) between Double-A Altoona and Triple-A Indianapolis this year.
• Reds first baseman Joey Votto has reached base 316 times via a hit, walk or HBP to lead the majors. On Friday, he tied and then broke Pete Rose's franchise record for times on base with a single in the first inning and another in the ninth. Votto and Rose are the only players in Reds history to reach base 300 times in a season via only hits and walks.
Pirates closer Jason Grilli realizes it's been a long wait for the Pirates to get back into the playoffs. So if the team should win the World Series, no ordinary ring will do. “I want it to be the size of a hood ornament,” Grilli said. “I don't want to wear it on my finger. I want to have to put it on my car.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Pirates notebook: Sadler gets first Grapefruit start
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene