Scouting Sunday's Pirates-Reds game
Brandon Cumpton last pitched Sept. 22, when he scattered three hits over three scoreless innings. He has made four starts, most recently Aug. 30 in the second game of a doubleheader against the Cardinals at PNC Park. He went 6-8 with a 3.62 ERA in 23 games (21 starts) between Double-A Altoona and Triple-A Indianapolis this year.
• Reds first baseman Joey Votto has reached base 316 times via a hit, walk or HBP to lead the majors. On Friday, he tied and then broke Pete Rose's franchise record for times on base with a single in the first inning and another in the ninth. Votto and Rose are the only players in Reds history to reach base 300 times in a season via only hits and walks.
Pirates closer Jason Grilli realizes it's been a long wait for the Pirates to get back into the playoffs. So if the team should win the World Series, no ordinary ring will do. “I want it to be the size of a hood ornament,” Grilli said. “I don't want to wear it on my finger. I want to have to put it on my car.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Autographs to come at a cost at PirateFest
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- Pirates trade Davis to A’s for international signing bonus money
- Pirates ready to protect top pitching prospects from Rule 5 draft
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- Rossi: Pirates don’t need Alvarez at first base
- Scouts: Acquiring Cervelli from Yankees cost Pirates promising reliever