Pirates fans rejoice over playoff baseball
Christy Wright on Saturday put a little distance between a childhood memory of watching Sid Bream and the Atlanta Braves dash the Pirates' hopes in the team's last postseason appearance.
On Tuesday, she plans to be inside PNC Park as her hometown team writes a new chapter in its postseason history.
“I never thought I would see the day come, to be honest,” said Wright, 30, of Beechview. “It will take a little while for it to sink in.”
After not playing a single postseason game the past 20 seasons, the Pirates in two days will host a wild-card game against Cincinnati by virtue of beating the Reds, 8-3, on Saturday and guaranteeing they finish at least two games ahead of their division rival.
The winner advances to the National League Division Series.
Brian Shander wants those who attend Tuesday's game to cheer the Pirates to a win so he and others might have a shot at seeing a Pirates playoff game in person.
“If they win, we will come to the division series,” said Shander, 41, of Sharon, Mercer County.
The ninth-inning single by Francisco Cabrera in October 1992 that scored Bream and sent the Braves to the World Series instead of the Pirates still sticks with many Pittsburgh fans.
“You don't forget a name like that,” Shander said.
A win Tuesday, though, could go a long way toward helping, he said.
Matt Clark sat in Section 109 cheering the Pirates all season as a first-time season-ticket holder. He will cheer from seats in Section 108 as long as the playoffs last.
“We deserve a home game,” said Clark, 32, of Munhall. “It's been a long time coming.”
Jason Cato is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Morton status remains in limbo
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park