Pirates fans rejoice over playoff baseball
Christy Wright on Saturday put a little distance between a childhood memory of watching Sid Bream and the Atlanta Braves dash the Pirates' hopes in the team's last postseason appearance.
On Tuesday, she plans to be inside PNC Park as her hometown team writes a new chapter in its postseason history.
“I never thought I would see the day come, to be honest,” said Wright, 30, of Beechview. “It will take a little while for it to sink in.”
After not playing a single postseason game the past 20 seasons, the Pirates in two days will host a wild-card game against Cincinnati by virtue of beating the Reds, 8-3, on Saturday and guaranteeing they finish at least two games ahead of their division rival.
The winner advances to the National League Division Series.
Brian Shander wants those who attend Tuesday's game to cheer the Pirates to a win so he and others might have a shot at seeing a Pirates playoff game in person.
“If they win, we will come to the division series,” said Shander, 41, of Sharon, Mercer County.
The ninth-inning single by Francisco Cabrera in October 1992 that scored Bream and sent the Braves to the World Series instead of the Pirates still sticks with many Pittsburgh fans.
“You don't forget a name like that,” Shander said.
A win Tuesday, though, could go a long way toward helping, he said.
Matt Clark sat in Section 109 cheering the Pirates all season as a first-time season-ticket holder. He will cheer from seats in Section 108 as long as the playoffs last.
“We deserve a home game,” said Clark, 32, of Munhall. “It's been a long time coming.”
Jason Cato is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Searage, Pirates ultra-confident
- Maddon, Hurdle are the models for modern major-league managers
- Cubs’ youth movement pays dividends, leads to postseason berth
- Pirates notebook: Huntington weighs whether wild-card round should be expanded
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Rossi: Time to give Pirates owner Nutting his due
- Starting 9: How can the Pirates catch the Cardinals in the future?
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cardinals, Sept, 30, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Morton traces struggles to mechanics of delivery
- Pirates notebook: It’s official: Cole to start wild-card game against Cubs