Pirates release 25-man roster for wild card game vs. Reds
By Travis Sawchik
Published: Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2013, 11:51 a.m.
The Pirates released their 25-man roster Tuesday morning for their wild card game playoff with the Reds at 8:07 p.m. Tuesday. The Reds will send right-hander Johnny Cueto to the mound. The Pirates will carry nine pitchers, three catchers, five outfielders and eight infielders. The following is the projected starting lineup and reserves from the submitted 25-man roster:
PRIATES PROJECTED LINEUP
• LF Starling Marte: A healthy Marte brings much needed speed to the lineup. He stole three bases Wednesday in Chicago after Pirates entered with four steals in Sept.
• 2B Neil Walker (S): Walker has been much better against RHP, with all 16 of his home runs coming vs. RHP
• CF Andrew McCutchen: The NL MVP favorite has three home runs in 39 career at bats vs. Cueto.
• 1B Justin Morneau (L): Morneau's bat has cooled since joining the Pirates but he's batting .282 with 15 HRs against RHP
• RF Marlon Byrd: While Byrd hits for a higher average vs. lefties, he's hit 16 of his 24 homers vs. RHP
• 3B Pedro Alvarez (L): Of Alvarez's 36 home runs, 33 are vs. RHP
• C Russell Martin: Martin's bat has cooled in the second half but he remains a well-above average defensive catcher
• SS Clint Barmes: The team's best defensive shortstop.
• LHP Francisco Liriano: Liriano has a single-season best opponent OPS (.321) vs. LHH entering, key vs. the LHH-heavy Reds
Josh Harrison, Garrett Jones (L), Jordy Mercer, John Buck, Tony Sanchez, Jose Tabata, Gaby Sanchez Travis Snider (L):
Snider might be a darkhorse for the roster but he has three pinch-hit homers this season. Jones is another lefty bat option off the bench … Jordy Mercer has started most games but his defense has been and down and his bat is much better vs. LHH ... The Pirates lack impact speed off their bench and are debating whether to carry three catchers.
Justin Wilson (L), Tony Watson (L), Mark Melancon, Jason Grilli, Vin Mazarro, Gerrit Cole, Bryan Morris, Jeanmar Gomez:
Few teams have two lefty relievers who have the velocity of Wilson and of Watson, who have been among the game's top lefty set-up men this season. They could be key in late-game matchups against the lefty-heavy Reds. Melancon is also excellent against lefties … With Cole not needed to pitch Sunday, he will be available out of the bullpen as a RHP capable of touching 100 mph.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates claim 3 pitchers in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Pirates agree with Barmes on 1-year deal
- Pirates not yet talking extensions with Alvarez, Walker
- Pirates sign free agent pitcher Volquez
- Pirates sign Morton to 3-year extension
- First base options thinning as winter meetings go on
- Pirates notebook: Polanco ruled out as Opening Day option
- Pirates notebook: Branson named hitting coach; Livesey promoted
- Ex-Pirates great Parker’s long wait for Hall of Fame could finally end
- Pirates general manager Huntington is searching for right player, deal