Breakdown down Pirates's NLDS roster
ST. LOUIS – The Pirates released their 25-man roster for the NLDS on Thursday afternoon. Major League Baseball allows teams to alter their roster after each round of the playoffs.
The Pirates will carry 14 position players and 11 pitchers for their series against St. Louis. A.J. Burnett will start for the Pirates against the Cardinals and Adam Wainwright in Game 1 at 5 p.m. Thursday.
PIRATES INFIELDERS: Pedro Alvarez, Clint Barmes, Josh Harrison, Garrett Jones, Jordy Mercer, Justin Morneau, Gaby Sanchez, Neil Walker
PIRATES OUTFIELDERS: Marlon Byrd, Andrew McCutchen, Starling Marte, Jose Tabata
PIRATES CATCHERS: Russell Martin, John Buck
PIRATES STARTING PITCHERS: A.J. Burnett, Gerrit Cole, Francisco Liriano, Charlie Morton
PIRATES RELIEF PITCHERS: Jeanmar Gomez, Jason Grilli, Vin Mazarro, Mark Melancon, Bryan Morris, Tony Watson, Justin Wilson
PIRATES PROJECTED LINEUP vs. ADAM WAINWRIGHT IN GAME 1
• LF Starling Marte: A healthy Marte brings much needed speed to the lineup. He stole three bases Wednesday in Chicago after Pirates entered with four steals in Sept.
• 2B Neil Walker (S): Walker is a .316 career average vs. Wainwright
• CF Andrew McCutchen: The NL MVP favorite has .429 career average vs. Wainwright
• 1B Justin Morneau (L): Morneau's bat has cooled since joining the Pirates but he's batting .282 with 15 HRs against RHP. He's 0-for-4 vs. Wainwright
• RF Marlon Byrd: While Byrd hits for a higher average vs. lefties, he's hit 17 of his 25 homers vs. RHP 3B Pedro Alvarez (L): Of Alvarez's 36 home runs, 33 are vs. RHP
• 3B Pedro Alvarez (L): Of Alvarez's 36 home runs, 33 are vs. RHP
• C Russell Martin: Martin's bat has cooled in the second half but he homered twice in the wild card game
• SS Clint Barmes: The team's best defensive shortstop has regaind the majority of starts
• RHP A.J. Burnett: Burnett struggled in his last start at St. Louis, allowing five runs in 4 1⁄3 innings last month
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 26, 2015
- Starter Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates to series sweep of Mets
- Pirates chase Mets’ Harvey early in rout
- Pirates notebook: Substance rule a sticky subject
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 25, 2014
- Former pitcher Allie happily adjusting to outfield
- Book details secret to Pirates’ turnaround
- Going the distance no longer part of the game
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 24, 2015
- THE BLAME GAME