Scouting Game 2 of the NLDS
The Tribune-Review's Travis Sawchik breaks down the Pirates' and Cardinals' projected starting lineups for Game 2 of the National League Division Series and how the players have faired against the opposing pitchers.
PIRATES' PROJECTED LINEUP
vs. LANCE LYNN
LF Starling Marte: Batting .259 entering Thursday since returning from disabled list
2B Neil Walker (S): Has found a home in No. 2 spot vs. RHP; .350 on-base percentage vs. righties
CF Andrew McCutchen: Four hits in 26 career at bats vs. Lynn; 0 walks vs. 10 strikeouts
1B Justin Morneau (L): Has never faced Lynn. Batted .282 with 15 HRs against RHP
RF Marlon Byrd: OPS dips nearly 200 points (.959 vs. .797) vs. RHP
3B Pedro Alvarez (L): Of his 36 home runs, 33 are vs. RHP
C Russell Martin: His bat has cooled in the second half, but he homered twice in the wild-card game
SS Clint Barmes: Has regained the lion's share of playing time due to defense
RHP Gerrit Cole: Rookie has not pitched against St. Louis; 1.69 ERA/10.7 K-rate in Sept.
CARDINALS' PROJECTED LINEUP
vs. GERRIT COLE
3B Matt Carpenter: Only Robinson Cano has a better WAR than Carpenter's (6.6) among 2B
RF Carlos Beltran: .315 hitter with .871 OPS vs. RHP
LF Matt Holliday: Hit 21 of his 22 home runs this year vs. RHP
1B Matt Adams: Slippery Rock University product has hit .320 with 8 HRs in filling in for injured Allen Craig
C Yadier Molina: Best offensive-defensive package at catcher in baseball
CF Jon Jay: Solid defender; .291 hitter vs. righties
3B David Freese: .345 batter in 31 career postseason games
SS Daniel Descalso: Weakest link in lineup; .238 hitter and below-average defender
RHP Lance Lynn: Allowed 10 hits and seven runs in four innings in last start vs. Pirates.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Searage, Pirates ultra-confident
- Maddon, Hurdle are the models for modern major-league managers
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Cubs’ youth movement pays dividends, leads to postseason berth
- Pirates notebook: Huntington weighs whether wild-card round should be expanded
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Rossi: Time to give Pirates owner Nutting his due
- Starting 9: How can the Pirates catch the Cardinals in the future?
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Marte’s 2-run homer in 12th polishes off Reds
- Rossi: Polanco’s woes becoming major problem for Pirates