Breaking down Game 3 of NLDS
By Travis Sawchik
Published: Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013, 10:09 p.m.
Tribune-Review reporter Travis Sawchik breaks down Game 3 of the NLDS.
Pirates' PROJECTED LINEUP
vs. Joe Kelly
1. Starling Marte, left field Showed power-speed combo in Game 2, stealing a base and homering
2. Neil Walker (S), second base All 16 of his home runs have come vs. RHP
3. Andrew McCutchen, center field Has reached base six times in 14 plate appearances vs. Kelly
4. Justin Morneau (L), first base
Drove the ball to the opposite field in Game 2; prelude to a breakout?
5. Marlon Byrd, right field OPS dips nearly 200 points (.959 vs. .797) vs. RHP
6. Pedro Alvarez (L), third base Has two extra-base hits, including a HR, in 15 at-bats vs. Kelly
7. Russell Martin, catcher One of two Pirates, joining Alvarez, to homer off Kelly
8. Jordy Mercer, shortstop Hurdle elected to trade defense for offense, starting Mercer in Game 2
9. Francisco Liriano, LH pitcher: 3-0 with a 0.75 ERA in three starts against the Cardinals this season. … Bullpen is fresh for Game 3, and A.J. Burnett could be added to bullpen if Gerrit Cole projects as Game 5 starter
CARDINALS' PROJECTED LINEUP
vs. Francisco Liriano
1. Matt Carpenter (L), third base Nearly as strong against LHP (.820 OPS) as RHP (.897)
2. Carlos Beltran (S), right field Weaker against LHP (.729 OPS) than RHP (.871 OPS)
3. Matt Holliday, left field Hit only one of his 22 home runs in regular season vs. LHP
4. Yadier Molina, catcher Homered in Game 2, showing why he's an MVP candidate
5. David Freese, third base 0 for 8 in his career against Liriano
6. Matt Adams (L), first base Has never faced Liriano or his devastating slider
7. Shane Robinson, center field Replaces Jon Jay in the lineup vs. LHP, though he hits just .228 vs. LHP
8. Peter Kozma, shortstop Replaces Descalso in the lineup against LHP but batting just .184 vs. LHP
9. Joe Kelly, RH pitcher Shaky peripherals (5.73 k/9, 3.19 bb/9) but allowed two combined runs in two starts vs. Pirates. … Cardinals threw Shelby Miller in mop-up time in Game 2, indicating he won't factor much in this series
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates agree with Barmes on 1-year deal
- Pirates claim 3 pitchers in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Pirates not yet talking extensions with Alvarez, Walker
- First base options thinning as winter meetings go on
- Pirates sign free agent pitcher Volquez
- Pirates sign Morton to 3-year extension
- Pirates general manager Huntington is searching for right player, deal
- Pirates notebook: Polanco ruled out as Opening Day option
- Breaking down the Pirates’ needs entering winter meetings
- Pirates notebook: Huntington narrows team’s offseason targets