Breaking down Game 4 of the NLDS
Tribune-Review reporter Travis Sawchik breaks down Game 4 of the National League Division Series.
PIRATES' PROJECTED Lineup
vs. Michael Wacha
1. LF Starling Marte: Wacha's changeup an issue for Marte, who often chases off-speed
2. 2B Neil Walker (S): Has faced Wacha four times, striking out twice
3. CF Andrew McCutchen: .302 hitter with 17 HR vs. RHP in regular season
4. 1B Justin Morneau (L): Excellent 15 percent whiff rate vs. off-speed
5. RF Marlon Byrd: Has struggled with breaking stuff and changeups this season
6. 3B Pedro Alvarez (L): Owns a 45 percent whiff rate vs. off-speed pitches, which is trouble vs. Wacha
7. C Russell Martin: Better against RHP (.235) than LHP (.194) in regular season
8. SS Clint Barmes: Enjoying lion's share of postseason starts due to glove
9. RHP Charlie Morton: Cardinals' talented left-handed hitters present challenge as Morton lacks changeup to combat lefties. Lefties are batting .304 vs. Morton. Right-handers are batting .220. ... Allowed five runs in 1 2⁄3 vs. Cardinals in last meeting
CARDINALS' PROJECTED Lineup
vs. Charlie Morton
1. 3B Matt Carpenter (L): Swings and misses at only 4.1 percent of pitches, 8th-best mark in MLB
2. RF Carlos Beltran (S): Owns a 1.240 postseason OPS, best in baseball history
3. LF Matt Holliday: .325 hitter with a homer and 5 RBI in 25 at-bats vs. Morton
4. 1B Matt Adams (L): Slippery Rock University product posted .520 slugging mark vs. RHP in 2013
5. C Yadier Molina: .421 hitter with 6 RBI vs. Morton in 19 career at-bats
6. CF Jon Jay (L): Solid defender, .291 hitter vs. righties
7. 3B David Freese: .294 hitter with a homer and 5 RBI in 17 at-bats vs. Morton
8. SS Daniel Descalso (L): 0 for 10 in career vs. Morton
9. RHP Michael Wacha: Took no-hitter into 9th inning in last start vs. Washington. Rookie is 4-1 with 2.78 ERA, 9.05 k/9 and 2.64 bb/9 this season. Pirates are 3 for 30 against Wacha
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- Pirates finalize Liriano’s 3-year, $39 million deal
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude