Hurdle: Cole will start Game 5
Rookie Gerrit Cole will start in the deciding Game 5 for the Pirates against the St. Louis Cardinals at Busch Stadium on Wednesday, manager Clint Hurdle announced following Monday's 2-1 loss in Game 4.
“We have one game to win,” Hurdle said. “As I've done and I've challenged the guys to do, we need to do the best we can to win that next game. I believe that matchup is the best we can do to beat the Cardinals in Game 5.”
Cole, who allowed just one run over six innings in a 7-1 Game 2 win, got the nod over veteran A.J. Burnett, who was the next starter in line to pitch. Burnett started Game 1 in St. Louis and gave up seven runs on six hits in two innings. The Pirates lost 9-1.
“It's a very hard decision,” Hurdle said of picking the Cole over Burnett. “It's a difficult decision because (Burnett) has meant so much, we've asked so much of him while he's been here. It has been a very challenging park for him. If this was any other venue, he would have gotten the ball. But for me, in this venue, this game, Cole is going to be our guy.”
Adam Wainwright will start for the Cardinals. Wainwright held the Pirates to one run on three hits in seven innings in Game 1.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Biertempfel: One man’s cause to canonize Roberto Clemente
- Statistically speaking: Rockies’ bullpen suffering meltdowns
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Pirates notebook: Cole’s bullpen session goes well