Hurdle: Cole will start Game 5
By Karen Price
Published: Monday, Oct. 7, 2013, 6:39 p.m.
Rookie Gerrit Cole will start in the deciding Game 5 for the Pirates against the St. Louis Cardinals at Busch Stadium on Wednesday, manager Clint Hurdle announced following Monday's 2-1 loss in Game 4.
“We have one game to win,” Hurdle said. “As I've done and I've challenged the guys to do, we need to do the best we can to win that next game. I believe that matchup is the best we can do to beat the Cardinals in Game 5.”
Cole, who allowed just one run over six innings in a 7-1 Game 2 win, got the nod over veteran A.J. Burnett, who was the next starter in line to pitch. Burnett started Game 1 in St. Louis and gave up seven runs on six hits in two innings. The Pirates lost 9-1.
“It's a very hard decision,” Hurdle said of picking the Cole over Burnett. “It's a difficult decision because (Burnett) has meant so much, we've asked so much of him while he's been here. It has been a very challenging park for him. If this was any other venue, he would have gotten the ball. But for me, in this venue, this game, Cole is going to be our guy.”
Adam Wainwright will start for the Cardinals. Wainwright held the Pirates to one run on three hits in seven innings in Game 1.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
- Preview of Wednesday’s Reds-Pirates game
- Pirates notebook: Rodriguez placed on DL, Hughes promoted
- 3 ejected after Pirates, Brewers brawl
- Pitcher Cueto shuts down Pirates as Reds cruise to victory at PNC
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle standing behind Grilli
- Preview of Tuesday’s Reds-Pirates game
- Pair of Braun homers spells defeat for Pirates
- Pirates minor league notebook: Mt. Lebanon grad keeping steady approach
- Davis embraces new opportunity with Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Walker’s razor a right-handed swing solution