Pirates' minor leaguers interviewed in sexual assault complaint
By Rob Biertempfel and Kevin Gorman
Published: Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2013, 8:06 p.m.
ST. LOUIS — The Sarasota (Fla.) County sheriff's office is investigating a criminal complaint of an alleged sexual assault Sunday night at Siesta Key Beach involving at least one minor league player in the Pirates' organization.
“I can confirm there was an alleged incident involving one of our minor league players,” Pirates spokesperson Brian Warecki said Tuesday. “This is something we take very seriously. While we cannot discuss details at this time, it is important to note that the player denies the accusations, no charges have been filed and both the player and the organization are cooperating fully with authorities.”
At least two Pirates minor league players were interviewed Monday by investigators.
Wendy Rose, spokesperson for the Sarasota County sheriff's office, said an investigation is ongoing, but no charges have been filed.
“I can confirm that we're investigating a criminal complaint about a sexual assault and speaking to possible suspects and possible witnesses,” Rose told the Tribune-Review on Tuesday. “That is all I can confirm at this time. I can't confirm any names or anything that would identify potential suspects at this time.
“I don't know how many players were interviewed, but I do know that players were interviewed as part of this investigation, allegedly with the Pirates organization.”
The Pirates have a training facility in Bradenton, Fla., which is about a 30-minute drive from Siesta Key. The team has several minor leaguers at that facility to participate in Fall Instructional Leagues, which end Oct. 19.
Staff writer Kevin Gorman contributed. Rob Biertempfel is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @BiertempfelTrib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates should exploit free-swinging Brewers
- Patience pays off as starting pitcher Volquez gets 1st win for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Tabata OK’d to return to play
- Breaking down Thursday’s Pirates-Brewers game
- Pirates notebook: Wandy Rodriguez experiencing decline in fastball velocity
- Pirates notebook: Walker’s razor a right-handed swing solution
- One-time Bucs pitching prospect now a promising power hitter
- Pirates conclude wild suspended game with win, drop 2nd of series
- Stats Corner: Will Marte be table-setter or out-maker?
- Previewing Saturday’s Pirates-Brewers game
- Breaking down Sunday’s Pirates-Brewers game