Pirates sign trio of players from Mexico
The Pirates signed three teenage players from Mexico this week; Mikell Grandberry, Eumir Sepulveda and Carlos Bustamante.
Grandberry, 18, is a strong defensive catching prospect who is regarded as having the highest ceiling of the group. Bustamante, 18 and Sepulveda, 17, are right-handed pitchers from the Yucatan Lions in the Mexican League.
The pitchers were signed by Pirates scout Jesus Valdez. No terms were immediately available.
The players will debut in the Dominican Summer League next summer.
— Travis Sawchik
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Rare triple play sparks Pirates’ comeback victory over Cubs
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Pirates notebook: Holdzkom’s wild ride continues
- Sunday’s scouting report: Cubs at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Pitch could be more than change of pace for Cole
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Phillies
- McCutchen’s inside-the-park homer highlights Pirates victory
- Biertempfel: In wild-card game, Cole must get call