Pirates sign trio of players from Mexico
The Pirates signed three teenage players from Mexico this week; Mikell Grandberry, Eumir Sepulveda and Carlos Bustamante.
Grandberry, 18, is a strong defensive catching prospect who is regarded as having the highest ceiling of the group. Bustamante, 18 and Sepulveda, 17, are right-handed pitchers from the Yucatan Lions in the Mexican League.
The pitchers were signed by Pirates scout Jesus Valdez. No terms were immediately available.
The players will debut in the Dominican Summer League next summer.
— Travis Sawchik
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Huntington staying patient as trade deadline approaches
- Outfielder Polanco driving force for Pirates in victory over Dodgers
- Pirates midseason report: Not quite the same feel-good story
- Friday’s scouting report: Rockies at Pirates
- Saturday’s scouting report: Rockies at Pirates
- Cutch or Tulo: Who’s the better MVP candidate?
- Snider’s pinch-hit double lifts Pirates over Rockies