Pirates sign trio of players from Mexico
The Pirates signed three teenage players from Mexico this week; Mikell Grandberry, Eumir Sepulveda and Carlos Bustamante.
Grandberry, 18, is a strong defensive catching prospect who is regarded as having the highest ceiling of the group. Bustamante, 18 and Sepulveda, 17, are right-handed pitchers from the Yucatan Lions in the Mexican League.
The pitchers were signed by Pirates scout Jesus Valdez. No terms were immediately available.
The players will debut in the Dominican Summer League next summer.
— Travis Sawchik
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Searage, Pirates ultra-confident
- Maddon, Hurdle are the models for modern major-league managers
- Cubs’ youth movement pays dividends, leads to postseason berth
- Pirates notebook: Huntington weighs whether wild-card round should be expanded
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Rossi: Time to give Pirates owner Nutting his due
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Pirates standout CF McCutchen no longer needs to carry team
- Pirates notebook: Morton traces struggles to mechanics of delivery
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card