Pirates' McCutchen, Marte, Martin named Gold Glove finalists
Defense was a significant part of the Pirates' 94-win regular season, and on Friday, Pirates outfielders Andrew McCutchen and Starling Marte and catcher Russell Martin were named Gold Glove finalists.
The award is given to the best defenders by position in each league.
McCutchen and Marte gave the Pirates essentially two center fielders to patrol the spacious PNC Park outfield. McCutchen and Marte have some of the best range among major league outfielders. St. Louis general manager John Mozeliak said earlier this month that the Pirates have the most athletic outfield in the game.
McCutchen, who improved his throwing ability this season and set a career-high with 11 outfield assists, won his first Gold Glove award last season.
Martin was perhaps the most important acquisition for the Pirates, and most of his value was tied to his defensive work.
Martin led the National League in throwing out 36 attempted base stealers and also received high marks for his pitching framing and sequencing.
Martin is seeking his second Gold Glove. He won the award in 2007 with the Dodgers.
The Pirates ranked fourth in the NL in defensive efficiency, the measure of turning batted balls into outs.
In the past, the Gold Glove awards had been determined only by managers and coaches, but this year 25 percent to 30 percent of the balloting will consist of votes from a sabermetric panel assembled by the Society of American Baseball Research (SABR).
Travis Sawchik is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @Sawchik_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Biertempfel: In wild-card game, Cole must get call
- Pirates notebook: Holdzkom’s wild ride continues
- Pirates notebook: Morton to start Tuesday against Red Sox
- Rare triple play sparks Pirates’ comeback victory over Cubs