Pirates' McCutchen, Marte, Martin named Gold Glove finalists
Defense was a significant part of the Pirates' 94-win regular season, and on Friday, Pirates outfielders Andrew McCutchen and Starling Marte and catcher Russell Martin were named Gold Glove finalists.
The award is given to the best defenders by position in each league.
McCutchen and Marte gave the Pirates essentially two center fielders to patrol the spacious PNC Park outfield. McCutchen and Marte have some of the best range among major league outfielders. St. Louis general manager John Mozeliak said earlier this month that the Pirates have the most athletic outfield in the game.
McCutchen, who improved his throwing ability this season and set a career-high with 11 outfield assists, won his first Gold Glove award last season.
Martin was perhaps the most important acquisition for the Pirates, and most of his value was tied to his defensive work.
Martin led the National League in throwing out 36 attempted base stealers and also received high marks for his pitching framing and sequencing.
Martin is seeking his second Gold Glove. He won the award in 2007 with the Dodgers.
The Pirates ranked fourth in the NL in defensive efficiency, the measure of turning batted balls into outs.
In the past, the Gold Glove awards had been determined only by managers and coaches, but this year 25 percent to 30 percent of the balloting will consist of votes from a sabermetric panel assembled by the Society of American Baseball Research (SABR).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Burnett continues to progress, amps up to 95-pitch simulated game
- Gameday: Pirates at Cardinals, September 5, 2015
- Young guns lead way into pivotal Pirates-Cardinals series
- Liriano struggles as Brewers complete sweep of Pirates
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen takes NL Player of the Month for 4th time
- Pirates, Marlins in talks to play 2016 game in Puerto Rico
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- Snider happy to return to new role with Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Left-side lineup intrigue continues
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 3, 2015
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates