Pirates shut out of Gold Glove awards
Three Pirates were finalists for National League Gold Gloves, but none earned the award given to the best defender at each position Tuesday night.
The Rockies' Carlos Gonzalez beat out Starling Marte for the Gold Glove in left field. Brewers outfielder Carlos Gomez prevented Andrew McCutchen from winning back-to-back honors in center field, and Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina won his sixth straight, topping Russell Martin for the award.
Gomez led center fielders with 38 defensive runs saved and led MLB by robbing opponents of five home runs. But Martin and Marte rated better than Molina and Gonzalez in several defensive metrics.
Gold Glove awards had been determined only by managers and coaches, but this year up to 30 percent of the balloting consisted of votes from a sabermetric panel assembled by the Society of American Baseball Research (SABR).
Defense was a significant part of the Pirates' 94-win regular season. The Pirates ranked fourth in the NL in defensive efficiency, the measure of turning batted balls into outs.
McCutchen, who improved his throwing ability this season and set a career-high with 11 outfield assists, won his first Gold Glove award last season.
Martin was perhaps the most important acquisition for the Pirates. He led the NL by throwing out 36 attempted base stealers.
The rest of the NL Gold Glove team: Braves shortstop Andrelton Simmons; Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt; Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips; Diamondbacks right fielder Gerardo Parra; Rockies third baseman Nolan Arenado; and Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright.
American League winners: Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy; Royals left fielder Alex Gordon; Orioles center fielder Adam Jones; Red Sox right fielder Shane Victorino; Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer; Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia; Orioles third baseman Manny Machado; Royals catcher Salvador Perez; and Blue Jays pitcher R.A. Dickey.
Travis Sawchik is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @Sawchik_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Pirates notebook: Morton status remains in limbo
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season