McCutchen to be co-executive producer on MTV show
Andrew McCutchen already gets a lot of air time on sports channels like Root and ESPN. Now, the Pirates center fielder is making the jump to MTV.
McCutchen and Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz will be co-executive producers of a 30-episode television series. The show, still untitled, will blend baseball and pop culture — giving fans a glimpse of what players are like off the field — and will air on MTV2.
The show will be shot at the MLB Fan Cave, a facility in a former record store in Manhattan that houses interactive features, media, games and concerts.
As an executive producer, one of McCutchen's duties will be to encourage players to appear on the show.
“Music is a passion of mine,” McCutchen said in a prepared statement. “So, when I was asked to be involved in a show that brings baseball to MTV, I jumped at it. It is going to be a lot of fun to show a different side of baseball and the players.”
Last offseason, McCutchen impersonated actor Tom Cruise in a Fan Cave video. McCutchen toured the Fan Cave in May, when the Pirates were in New York for a series against the Mets.
“As sports and pop culture increasingly collide, we're thrilled to partner with MLB to cover baseball through a uniquely MTV lens,” MTV president Stephen Friedman said in a press release. “We will blur the lines between lifestyle and sports entertainment.”
Rob Biertempfel is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @BiertempfelTrib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- Statistically speaking: Can Pirates contain Hamilton on bases
- Pirates edge Reds, 3-2, for 4th consecutive victory