McCutchen to be co-executive producer on MTV show
Andrew McCutchen already gets a lot of air time on sports channels like Root and ESPN. Now, the Pirates center fielder is making the jump to MTV.
McCutchen and Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz will be co-executive producers of a 30-episode television series. The show, still untitled, will blend baseball and pop culture — giving fans a glimpse of what players are like off the field — and will air on MTV2.
The show will be shot at the MLB Fan Cave, a facility in a former record store in Manhattan that houses interactive features, media, games and concerts.
As an executive producer, one of McCutchen's duties will be to encourage players to appear on the show.
“Music is a passion of mine,” McCutchen said in a prepared statement. “So, when I was asked to be involved in a show that brings baseball to MTV, I jumped at it. It is going to be a lot of fun to show a different side of baseball and the players.”
Last offseason, McCutchen impersonated actor Tom Cruise in a Fan Cave video. McCutchen toured the Fan Cave in May, when the Pirates were in New York for a series against the Mets.
“As sports and pop culture increasingly collide, we're thrilled to partner with MLB to cover baseball through a uniquely MTV lens,” MTV president Stephen Friedman said in a press release. “We will blur the lines between lifestyle and sports entertainment.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Pirates notebook: Huntington weighs whether wild-card round should be expanded
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Starting 9: How can the Pirates catch the Cardinals in the future?
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Pirates notebook: It’s official: Cole to start wild-card game against Cubs
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds, Oct. 4, 2015
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- Pirates notebook: Morton traces struggles to mechanics of delivery
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds October 3, 2015
- Marte’s 2-run homer in 12th polishes off Reds