Mazeroski family happy auction items maintain local ties
When former Pirates great Bill Mazeroski and his family decided to auction key pieces of his memorabilia from the 1960 World Series, they hoped it would be secured by a person with Pittsburgh ties.
Those wishes were fulfilled as Thomas Tull, a movie producer who owns a minority share of the Steelers, secured some of the premier pieces of the collection earlier this month.
Tull, a Binghamton N.Y., native and CEO of Legendary Pictures, spent nearly $1 million for the jersey Mazeroski wore and bat he swung in his walk-off home run in Game 7 of the 1960 World Series. The jersey commanded a price of $633,000. The total auction took in $1.7 million.
“Our hope was someone in Pittsburgh would get (the jersey and bat) and more Pittsburghers would see it,” said Bill's wife, Milene Mazeroski.
Among the other items sold were Mazeroski's spikes from Game 7 in the 1960 World Series and the six Gold Glove awards he won during his career with the Pirates, which lasted from 1956-71. He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2001.
Milene Mazeroski said the family was not saddened to lose the memorabilia. “You can only keep so much for so long,” Milene said. “We don't have a museum to place these things in. They're just stored away. That's not right. They are things everyone should see.”
Milene Mazeroski said part of the auction earnings will go to Pirates Charities and the rest will be placed in a trust for their children and grandchildren.
“This money will never touch our hands,” she said.
Travis Sawchik is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @Sawchik_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Pirates notebook: Huntington staying patient as trade deadline approaches
- Pirates notebook: Polanco, Puig held out of series opener
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Marte held out after scare
- Dodgers rough up rusty starter Volquez, knock off Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates midseason report: Not quite the same feel-good story
- Pirates minor league notebook: Streaking Ramirez surpasses Marte’s mark
- Friday’s scouting report: Rockies at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Liriano looking forward to fresh start
- For Pirates’ Taillon, ‘the progress is neat to follow’