Pirates add top prospects Polanco, Hanson, two others to 40-man roster
The Pirates added four prospects, including two of their top 10 prospects — outfielder Gregory Polanco and shortstop Alen Hanson — to their 40-man roster Wednesday. Pitchers Joely Rodriguez and Casey Sadler were the other minor leaguers added to the roster.
If the prospects were not added to the 40-man roster by midnight Wednesday, they would be eligible to be selected by another team in next month's Rule 5 draft.
Prospects become eligible for the Rule 5 draft after four or five seasons after being signed if they are not on the 40-man roster. The Pirates enter Wednesday with 36 players on their 40-man roster.
Polanco is the Pirates' No. 1 prospect, according to Baseball America. Hanson ranks as the No. 6 prospect. Rodriguez is a left-handed pitcher who went 9-8 with a 2.70 ERA between Low-A West Virginia and High-A Bradenton last season. The right-handed Sadler was 11-7 with a 3.37 ERA between Double-A and Triple-A last season.
One of the biggest names not protected is Stetson Allie, a converted pitcher who has some of the top power in the system and was awarded a $2 million bonus after being selected in the second round in the 2010 draft.
Travis Sawchik is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @Sawchik_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- Pirates bench coach Banister interviews for Astros manager job
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Pitcher Cueto, Reds dash Pirates’ division title hopes in finale
- Stats speak: Pirates’ patience key vs. Cincy’s Simon, Cueto