Pirates add top prospects Polanco, Hanson, two others to 40-man roster
The Pirates added four prospects, including two of their top 10 prospects — outfielder Gregory Polanco and shortstop Alen Hanson — to their 40-man roster Wednesday. Pitchers Joely Rodriguez and Casey Sadler were the other minor leaguers added to the roster.
If the prospects were not added to the 40-man roster by midnight Wednesday, they would be eligible to be selected by another team in next month's Rule 5 draft.
Prospects become eligible for the Rule 5 draft after four or five seasons after being signed if they are not on the 40-man roster. The Pirates enter Wednesday with 36 players on their 40-man roster.
Polanco is the Pirates' No. 1 prospect, according to Baseball America. Hanson ranks as the No. 6 prospect. Rodriguez is a left-handed pitcher who went 9-8 with a 2.70 ERA between Low-A West Virginia and High-A Bradenton last season. The right-handed Sadler was 11-7 with a 3.37 ERA between Double-A and Triple-A last season.
One of the biggest names not protected is Stetson Allie, a converted pitcher who has some of the top power in the system and was awarded a $2 million bonus after being selected in the second round in the 2010 draft.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Cole collects MLB-best 14th win as Pirates take series against Nationals
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- Pirates notebook: No sign of improvement for RHP Sadler