Pirates add top prospects Polanco, Hanson, two others to 40-man roster
The Pirates added four prospects, including two of their top 10 prospects — outfielder Gregory Polanco and shortstop Alen Hanson — to their 40-man roster Wednesday. Pitchers Joely Rodriguez and Casey Sadler were the other minor leaguers added to the roster.
If the prospects were not added to the 40-man roster by midnight Wednesday, they would be eligible to be selected by another team in next month's Rule 5 draft.
Prospects become eligible for the Rule 5 draft after four or five seasons after being signed if they are not on the 40-man roster. The Pirates enter Wednesday with 36 players on their 40-man roster.
Polanco is the Pirates' No. 1 prospect, according to Baseball America. Hanson ranks as the No. 6 prospect. Rodriguez is a left-handed pitcher who went 9-8 with a 2.70 ERA between Low-A West Virginia and High-A Bradenton last season. The right-handed Sadler was 11-7 with a 3.37 ERA between Double-A and Triple-A last season.
One of the biggest names not protected is Stetson Allie, a converted pitcher who has some of the top power in the system and was awarded a $2 million bonus after being selected in the second round in the 2010 draft.
Travis Sawchik is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @Sawchik_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers
- Saturday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Morton scratched from Sunday’s start
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Pirates hit 3 HRs in rout of Red Sox
- Pirates hold on to beat Red Sox, complete 3-game sweep at PNC
- Pirates notebook: Bucs batters seeing doubles
- Pirates notebook: Holdzkom’s wild ride continues
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Friday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates