Barmes, Volquez officially sign with Pirates; Sands, Reid designated for assignment
The Pirates officially signed shortstop Clint Barmes and right-hander Edinson Volquez, both free agents, to one-year deals Friday night.
Barmes will get $2 million in 2014 but could make up to $1 million more in incentives. Volquez will make $5 million next season.
To create room on the 40-man roster, outfielder Jerry Sands and right-hander Ryan Reid were designated for assignment.
Sands was acquired one year ago as part of the Joel Hanrahan trade with the Boston Red Sox, but he became expendable after batting .207/.311/.329 with Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Miffed Melancon finds success, will stick with his routine
- Biertempfel: Observations from a day at the ballpark
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- Pirates’ Cole reinforces status as emerging ace
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Sawchik: Young Cubs could threaten for foreseeable future
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 26, 2015
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen unfazed by return to Arizona
- Pirates look to continue success in cross-country trips
- Super-agent Boras says Pirates will have opportunity to re-sign Alvarez, Cole