Pirates sign 7 players to minor league contracts
The Pirates announced the signings of seven minor league free agents Wednesday, five of whom received invitations to major league camp this spring.
The signings include familiar names such as first baseman Travis Ishikawa, utility player Michael Martinez and left-handed reliever Daniel Schlereth.
Ishikawa (Baltimore Orioles and New York Yankees) and Martinez (Philadelphia Phillies) played in the majors last season.
Schlereth had his moments in the Detroit Tigers' bullpen from 2010-12.
Schlereth is the son of former NFL player Mark Schlereth.
Also receiving invites to major league camp are right-handed pitcher Kyle McPherson, who was designated for assignment last month by the Pirates, and left-handed pitcher Adam Wilk, who pitched in Korea last season and briefly with the Tigers in 2011-12.
Ishikawa is a left-handed hitter who played with the San Francisco Giants from 2006-10 and the Milwaukee Brewers in 2012. He is a career .260 hitter with 111 RBIs in 382 games.
Martinez hit .300 with Triple-A Lehigh Valley last season and batted .175 in 29 games with the Phillies.
Schlereth was 2-0 with a 0.82 ERA in 11 innings with Triple-A Norfolk last season.
He owns a 4.36 ERA in his major league career, having appeared in 94 games.
The Pirates also signed left-handed pitcher Brandon Mann and right-handed pitcher Elvin Ramirez to minor league deals. They do not have invitations to major league camp.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Pirates notebook: Sadler gets first Grapefruit start
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Pirates notebook: Team has big plans for newcomer Kang
- Pirates looking at ways to make McCutchen’s off days more productive