Pirates sign 7 players to minor league contracts
The Pirates announced the signings of seven minor league free agents Wednesday, five of whom received invitations to major league camp this spring.
The signings include familiar names such as first baseman Travis Ishikawa, utility player Michael Martinez and left-handed reliever Daniel Schlereth.
Ishikawa (Baltimore Orioles and New York Yankees) and Martinez (Philadelphia Phillies) played in the majors last season.
Schlereth had his moments in the Detroit Tigers' bullpen from 2010-12.
Schlereth is the son of former NFL player Mark Schlereth.
Also receiving invites to major league camp are right-handed pitcher Kyle McPherson, who was designated for assignment last month by the Pirates, and left-handed pitcher Adam Wilk, who pitched in Korea last season and briefly with the Tigers in 2011-12.
Ishikawa is a left-handed hitter who played with the San Francisco Giants from 2006-10 and the Milwaukee Brewers in 2012. He is a career .260 hitter with 111 RBIs in 382 games.
Martinez hit .300 with Triple-A Lehigh Valley last season and batted .175 in 29 games with the Phillies.
Schlereth was 2-0 with a 0.82 ERA in 11 innings with Triple-A Norfolk last season.
He owns a 4.36 ERA in his major league career, having appeared in 94 games.
The Pirates also signed left-handed pitcher Brandon Mann and right-handed pitcher Elvin Ramirez to minor league deals. They do not have invitations to major league camp.
Travis Sawchik is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @Sawchik_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates top Cardinals, 5-2, on Davis’ homer; Alvarez, McCutchen hurt
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen returns to starting lineup; Alvarez out
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline