Pirates bring back 4 minor-league skippers
The Pirates have brought back four of their minor league managers this season.
Dean Treanor will begin his fourth year at Triple-A Indianapolis, which went 80-60 last season and qualified for the International League playoffs. Also returning are Carlos Garcia (Double-A Altoona), Michael Ryan (Low-A West Virginia) and Milver Reyes (rookie league Bradenton).
Tom Prince, who was the Pirates' coordinator of minor league instruction last year, will manage High-A Bradenton. Frank Kremblas, who managed Bradenton last year, was shifted to special assistant to player development, a role he held with the Pirates in 2012.
Brian Esposito, who was a player/coach last year, will manage Low-A Jamestown. Dave Turgeon, who managed Jamestown last year, now is the Pirates' assistant field coordinator.
Edgar Varela will manage at rookie level Bristol after working as a coach at High-A Bradenton in 2013. Mendy Lopez will lead the Pirates' entry in the Dominican Summer League.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Tekulve to throw out 1st pitch of Pirates’ postseason
- Pirates notebook: Playoff tiebreakers create havoc for Bucs
- Do Pirates have what it takes to end World Series drought?
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- Inside the decision: Pirates chose their own adventure