Pirates bring back 4 minor-league skippers
The Pirates have brought back four of their minor league managers this season.
Dean Treanor will begin his fourth year at Triple-A Indianapolis, which went 80-60 last season and qualified for the International League playoffs. Also returning are Carlos Garcia (Double-A Altoona), Michael Ryan (Low-A West Virginia) and Milver Reyes (rookie league Bradenton).
Tom Prince, who was the Pirates' coordinator of minor league instruction last year, will manage High-A Bradenton. Frank Kremblas, who managed Bradenton last year, was shifted to special assistant to player development, a role he held with the Pirates in 2012.
Brian Esposito, who was a player/coach last year, will manage Low-A Jamestown. Dave Turgeon, who managed Jamestown last year, now is the Pirates' assistant field coordinator.
Edgar Varela will manage at rookie level Bristol after working as a coach at High-A Bradenton in 2013. Mendy Lopez will lead the Pirates' entry in the Dominican Summer League.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Four players selected for All-Star Game
- Torn thumb ligament puts Josh Harrison on DL
- Pirates get journeyman Ishikawa off waivers; outfielder Marte injured
- Alvarez homer triggers winning outburst for Pirates
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Padres, July 6, 2015
- Biertempfel: Loss of All-Star paper ballots a blow to nostalgia
- Pirates trust eye test when voting for all-stars
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback