Pirates bring back 4 minor-league skippers
The Pirates have brought back four of their minor league managers this season.
Dean Treanor will begin his fourth year at Triple-A Indianapolis, which went 80-60 last season and qualified for the International League playoffs. Also returning are Carlos Garcia (Double-A Altoona), Michael Ryan (Low-A West Virginia) and Milver Reyes (rookie league Bradenton).
Tom Prince, who was the Pirates' coordinator of minor league instruction last year, will manage High-A Bradenton. Frank Kremblas, who managed Bradenton last year, was shifted to special assistant to player development, a role he held with the Pirates in 2012.
Brian Esposito, who was a player/coach last year, will manage Low-A Jamestown. Dave Turgeon, who managed Jamestown last year, now is the Pirates' assistant field coordinator.
Edgar Varela will manage at rookie level Bristol after working as a coach at High-A Bradenton in 2013. Mendy Lopez will lead the Pirates' entry in the Dominican Summer League.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates look to put more pressure on opposition with better baserunning
- Pirates notebook: Harrison’s day cut short by ankle injury
- Spring training breakdown: Blue Jays 4, Pirates 1
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after pitcher experienced elbow discomfort
- Pirates acquire ex-Marlins reliever
- Pirates’ Alvarez eager to prove he can play first, regain power stroke
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?