Pirates bring back 4 minor-league skippers
The Pirates have brought back four of their minor league managers this season.
Dean Treanor will begin his fourth year at Triple-A Indianapolis, which went 80-60 last season and qualified for the International League playoffs. Also returning are Carlos Garcia (Double-A Altoona), Michael Ryan (Low-A West Virginia) and Milver Reyes (rookie league Bradenton).
Tom Prince, who was the Pirates' coordinator of minor league instruction last year, will manage High-A Bradenton. Frank Kremblas, who managed Bradenton last year, was shifted to special assistant to player development, a role he held with the Pirates in 2012.
Brian Esposito, who was a player/coach last year, will manage Low-A Jamestown. Dave Turgeon, who managed Jamestown last year, now is the Pirates' assistant field coordinator.
Edgar Varela will manage at rookie level Bristol after working as a coach at High-A Bradenton in 2013. Mendy Lopez will lead the Pirates' entry in the Dominican Summer League.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates shift times on 5 games, including rescheduling 2 fireworks nights
- Pirates SS prospect Tucker making progress after thumb surgery
- For Pirates, NL Central test just got tougher
- Pirates sign 9 to yearlong deals; 3 going to arbitration
- Pirates officially sign Korean shortstop Kang
- Pirates notebook: For Holdzkom, a whole new world
- Korean star Kang could be financial windfall for Pirates
- Pirates’ Burnett aims to defy age curve