Pirates notebook: McCutchen cuts ties with MTV show
Andrew McCutchen has pulled out as co-executive producer of a proposed series that will air on MTV. During the offseason, McCutchen and Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz agreed to assist with the show. The series, which has not started production, is planned for 30 episodes.
“I went into it not knowing the full level of commitment I'd have to give,” McCutchen said. “It's a full season of shows, and I can't give up that much time.”
• Clint Hurdle will be among a handful of managers who'll meet Sunday afternoon with MLB officials to discuss the rollout of expanded instant replay. Meetings already have been held with managers in other parts of Florida. A confab is set for Monday for teams that work out in Arizona.
“We'll formulate our own game plan and see where it takes us,” Hurdle said. “I want to use it intelligently, with purpose and with every intent to get a call right. There will be some strategy involved. It's like any other strategic move you make.”
• Before Friday's workout, the players met with Steve Shenbaum, a former actor who now consults with athletes and business leaders on team-building and communication training. Shenbaum is based in Bradenton.
• Friday was a light day for pitchers, who did not throw off the mound. Infielders, catchers and outfielders took batting practice until about 1 p.m. Part of the workout was devoted to situational hitting. Outfielder Travis Snider (cut on finger) was cleared to resume throwing.
• The players will have their annual meeting with leaders of the players' union Sunday morning.
• Former Pirate Ed O'Brien died Friday at age 83. Seattle University, which announced O'Brien's death and where O'Brien played in the early 1950s, did not reveal a cause of death. O'Brien recently had been diagnosed with Parkinson's. O'Brien played for the Pirates from 1953-58, appearing in 231 career games and hitting .236. He played shortstop, center field, third base and pitcher. He and his brother, Johnny, became the first twins in Major League Baseball to play on the same team in the same game.
The Associated Press contributed.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates pitching prospect Kingham undergoes Tommy John surgery
- Pirates’ Morton hopes he’s past injury-riddled part of career
- Starkey: Kang story of the year for Pirates
- Gameday: Pirates at Padres, May 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Struggling Polanco held out of starting lineup
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez having success looking the other way
- Pirates use big 7th inning to sweep Marlins, stretch winning streak
- THE BLAME GAME
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak
- Pirates win 5th straight as offense continues to click in win over Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 27, 2015