Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Phillies 1
Boom: Josh Harrison jumped on a 3-2 pitch from Antonio Bastardo and blasted his first homer of the spring. The towering solo shot landed near Frenchy's tiki bar on the left field concourse.
Stock up: LHP Joely Rodriguez made quick work of the Phils in the sixth inning. Ryan Howard and Marlon Byrd grounded out, and pinch-hitter John Mayberry flew out to center. It was Rodriguez's first Grapefruit League outing.
Stock down: Erratic might the kindest way to describe LHP Yao-Hsun Yang's control in his one inning of work. He gave up a one-out single to Galvis, then hit the next two batters with pitchers. One of them, Cody Asche, had to be replaced by a pinch runner. With two outs, Carlos Ruiz walked to force in a run.
See you soon: Manager Clint Hurdle said closer Jason Grilli is tentatively scheduled to make his spring training debut Thursday against the Blue Jays at McKechnie Field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Rossi: Cole is simply not good enough for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Tempers boil after Arrieta beaned
- Pirates no match for Cubs, Arrieta in wild-card loss
- Cubs’ Fowler, Schwarber deliver to sink Pirates
- Managers opt for different strategies in wild-card contest
- Rossi: Time to give Pirates owner Nutting his due
- Fans connect with their beloved Pirates through homemade signs