Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Phillies 1
Boom: Josh Harrison jumped on a 3-2 pitch from Antonio Bastardo and blasted his first homer of the spring. The towering solo shot landed near Frenchy's tiki bar on the left field concourse.
Stock up: LHP Joely Rodriguez made quick work of the Phils in the sixth inning. Ryan Howard and Marlon Byrd grounded out, and pinch-hitter John Mayberry flew out to center. It was Rodriguez's first Grapefruit League outing.
Stock down: Erratic might the kindest way to describe LHP Yao-Hsun Yang's control in his one inning of work. He gave up a one-out single to Galvis, then hit the next two batters with pitchers. One of them, Cody Asche, had to be replaced by a pinch runner. With two outs, Carlos Ruiz walked to force in a run.
See you soon: Manager Clint Hurdle said closer Jason Grilli is tentatively scheduled to make his spring training debut Thursday against the Blue Jays at McKechnie Field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fan injured by flying bat at Pirates-Cubs game at Wrigley
- Hammel, Cubs shut down Pirates, snapping 5-game winning streak
- Starting rotation powers Pirates’ surge
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle says playing 1 position should benefit Harrison
- Gameday: Pirates at Cubs, April 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Wainwright injury doesn’t sway Hurdle on DH
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Biertempfel: Observations from a day at the ballpark
- Fans of Pirates embrace PNC Park home opener, hope for great season
- Behind starter Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Diamondbacks
- Pirates sign Harrison to new deal that could stretch to 6 seasons, $50.3M