Spring training breakdown: Twins 6, Pirates 5
Everybody hits: The Pirates sent nine batters to the plate and twice loaded the bases in the first inning against RHP Vance Worley. Travis Snider hit a two-run single and Andrew Lambo drove in a run with an infield single.
The bomb: Taking advantage of a stiff breeze, Andrew McCutchen launched a long, two-run homer that landed on the boardwalk beyond right field.
Putting up zeros: Jeanmar Gomez tossed three scoreless innings. He's given up two hits and no runs with three strikeouts in six innings this spring.
Stock up: McCutchen was a triple shy of hitting for the cycle. In four games this spring, he's 8 for 11 with one walk. “No big deal,” McCutchen said. “They don't count in the spring.”
Stock down: Reliever Jared Hughes couldn't hold a 5-3 lead in the seventh inning. He gave up two runs on four hits and hit one batter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Pirates down Cardinals, inch closer in wild-card chase
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds