Martin would consider extending stay with Pirates
BRADENTON, Fla. — Catcher Russell Martin is willing to consider a contract extension if the Pirates want to offer one.
“I'm open to listening to anything,” Martin said Thursday, adding there currently are no discussions about a new deal between his agent and the team.
Martin's two-year, $17 million contract is the most-expensive free-agent deal in Pirates history. When he signed in November 2012, Martin said he didn't necessarily want a longer contract so he could better position himself to re-enter the free-agent market.
Last season Martin, 31, batted .226 with a .703 on-base plus slugging percentage. He is considered one of the premier defensive catchers in the game.
This past winter the Pirates acquired veteran Chris Stewart, 32, to be Martin's backup. Stewart has two years of arbitration eligibility remaining.
Tony Sanchez, 25, the Pirates' first-round pick in 2009, will open this season at Triple-A Indianapolis. Reese McGuire, 19, a first-rounder last year, is at least two years away from reaching the majors.
Rob Biertempfel is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @BiertempfelTrib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates face mound of decisions in offseason
- Pirates’ Banister named finalist for Rangers’ managing job
- Pirates are solid at shortstop with the durable Mercer in play
- Pirates notebook: Team wary of Polanco, Marte playing full winter season