Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Twins 4
Laser show: Twins first baseman Joe Mauer caught up with Gerrit Cole's 96 mph fastball, buzzing Cole with a line drive up the middle in the first inning. Cole likely would not force-feed Mauer fastballs during the regular season.
Big shot: Pedro Alvarez launched his second home run of the spring to deep right-center field off Twins starter Kevin Correia. The ball bounced off the concourse at Hammond Stadium, estimated at 430 feet from home plate.
Dealing: Cole allowed one run — it was unearned — on three hits and a walk over three innings.
Stock up: Travis Ishikawa improved his stock with a home run to center and a walk.
Stock down: Jake Brigham allowed a two-run homer to Chris Colabello in his two innings of work.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Morton status remains in limbo
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park