Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Twins 4
Laser show: Twins first baseman Joe Mauer caught up with Gerrit Cole's 96 mph fastball, buzzing Cole with a line drive up the middle in the first inning. Cole likely would not force-feed Mauer fastballs during the regular season.
Big shot: Pedro Alvarez launched his second home run of the spring to deep right-center field off Twins starter Kevin Correia. The ball bounced off the concourse at Hammond Stadium, estimated at 430 feet from home plate.
Dealing: Cole allowed one run — it was unearned — on three hits and a walk over three innings.
Stock up: Travis Ishikawa improved his stock with a home run to center and a walk.
Stock down: Jake Brigham allowed a two-run homer to Chris Colabello in his two innings of work.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds
- Pirates edge Reds, 3-2, for 4th consecutive victory
- Pirates notebook: Morton status remains in limbo
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Monday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
- Biertempfel: Pirates’ Hurdle deserves look — again — as NL Manager of Year
- Saturday’s scouting report: Reds at Pirates