Spring training breakdown: Pirates 6, Phillies 5
Phillies starter:RHP Jeff Manship
Pirates starter:RHP Brandon Cumpton
Big shot: Andrew McCutchen ripped his third homer of the spring in the first inning off of Phillies starter Jeff Manship.
Going the other way: Phillies' Ryan Howard lifted an opposite-field home run off of the Pirates' Jay Jackson in the sixth inning.
Dealing: Cumpton threw four innings and allowed two runs. He induced 10 groundouts against one fly out.
Stock down: Tony Sanchez had some throwing issues last season in Triple-A. He began Friday's game with a throwing error in the first inning.
Stock up:Travis Snider went 2 for 3 with a double, strengthening his case for the right-field job.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Pirates notebook: Huntington staying patient as trade deadline approaches
- Pirates notebook: Polanco, Puig held out of series opener
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Dodgers rough up rusty starter Volquez, knock off Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Liriano looking forward to fresh start
- Pirates complete sweep of Rockies with comeback win at PNC
- Biertempfel: One man’s cause to canonize Roberto Clemente
- Pirates minor league notebook: Streaking Ramirez surpasses Marte’s mark
- Cutch or Tulo: Who’s the better MVP candidate?
- Pirates notebook: Cole’s bullpen session goes well