Spring training breakdown: Pirates 22, Blue Jays 5
Happy:So what if there was a gale-force wind blowing out to right field? Wandy Rodriguez never goes deep, so he can be forgiven for pumping his first as he rounded first base after launching a home run into the Pirates' bullpen in the second inning.
Left out:On a day when the Pirates amassed 29 hits, Pedro Alvarez somehow managed to go 0 for 3. He struck out twice and walked twice.
Stock up:Jose Tabata went into the game batting 4 for 35. He went 4 for 4 Tuesday, including a three-run homer off Esmil Rogers.
Stock down: J.A. Happ may have killed his chances of winning Toronto's No. 5 rotation spot. The left-hander gave up seven runs on 12 hits in three-plus innings and raised his ERA to 20.57.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates again approach Polanco about contract extension
- Reliever Holdzkom among three players cut by Pirates
- Reversing the field: Pirates continue to raid Yankees for hidden skill
- Steelers’ Tomlin, Pirates’ Hurdle share similar philosophy
- Pirates notebook: Locke the choice to be 5th starter
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 18, Phillies 4
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Pirates notebook: Decker leaves game with calf injury
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 3