Spring training breakdown: Yankees 4, Pirates 2
YANKEES 4, PIRATES 2
Textbook: Josh Harrison executed a perfect bunt in the third inning. He bunted the ball hard, but it shot past pitcher CC Sabathia, who was charging toward the plate. The ball rolled to second base, which was not defended because Yangervis Solarte went to cover first base.
On the run: It's not every day you see Andrew McCutchen lose a foot race. 1B Mark Teixeira gobbled up a grounder, then sprinted to the bag a step ahead of McCutchen. Maybe it was due to the wet track (it rained throughout the game). More likely, it was because McCutchen had to sprint 90 feet, while Teixeira had to go about 30.
Stock up: The Pirates equipment crew. They packed up all the clubhouse gear, loading some on a Pittsburgh-bound truck and putting the rest into a chartered jet for Philly. They also had to deal with dozens of muddy cleats and soggy uniforms that had to be cleaned, dried and sorted before Friday night's game against the Phillies.
Stock down: Florida weather forecasters. A week of generally cold, cruddy weather ended with a nonstop drizzle on a day when the forecast originally called for clearing skies and temps in the mid-70s.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- Pirates bench coach Banister interviews for Astros manager job
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Pitcher Cueto, Reds dash Pirates’ division title hopes in finale
- Stats speak: Pirates’ patience key vs. Cincy’s Simon, Cueto