Spring training breakdown: Yankees 4, Pirates 2
YANKEES 4, PIRATES 2
Textbook: Josh Harrison executed a perfect bunt in the third inning. He bunted the ball hard, but it shot past pitcher CC Sabathia, who was charging toward the plate. The ball rolled to second base, which was not defended because Yangervis Solarte went to cover first base.
On the run: It's not every day you see Andrew McCutchen lose a foot race. 1B Mark Teixeira gobbled up a grounder, then sprinted to the bag a step ahead of McCutchen. Maybe it was due to the wet track (it rained throughout the game). More likely, it was because McCutchen had to sprint 90 feet, while Teixeira had to go about 30.
Stock up: The Pirates equipment crew. They packed up all the clubhouse gear, loading some on a Pittsburgh-bound truck and putting the rest into a chartered jet for Philly. They also had to deal with dozens of muddy cleats and soggy uniforms that had to be cleaned, dried and sorted before Friday night's game against the Phillies.
Stock down: Florida weather forecasters. A week of generally cold, cruddy weather ended with a nonstop drizzle on a day when the forecast originally called for clearing skies and temps in the mid-70s.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise to interleague victory over Twins
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 29, 2015
- Pirates’ Liriano unaffected by poor last outing against Twins
- Cole collects MLB-best 14th win as Pirates take series against Nationals
- Pirates third baseman Ramirez’s last ride is about winning a ring
- Making splash at MLB trade deadline not always in buyers’ best interest