Spring training breakdown: Yankees 4, Pirates 2
YANKEES 4, PIRATES 2
Textbook: Josh Harrison executed a perfect bunt in the third inning. He bunted the ball hard, but it shot past pitcher CC Sabathia, who was charging toward the plate. The ball rolled to second base, which was not defended because Yangervis Solarte went to cover first base.
On the run: It's not every day you see Andrew McCutchen lose a foot race. 1B Mark Teixeira gobbled up a grounder, then sprinted to the bag a step ahead of McCutchen. Maybe it was due to the wet track (it rained throughout the game). More likely, it was because McCutchen had to sprint 90 feet, while Teixeira had to go about 30.
Stock up: The Pirates equipment crew. They packed up all the clubhouse gear, loading some on a Pittsburgh-bound truck and putting the rest into a chartered jet for Philly. They also had to deal with dozens of muddy cleats and soggy uniforms that had to be cleaned, dried and sorted before Friday night's game against the Phillies.
Stock down: Florida weather forecasters. A week of generally cold, cruddy weather ended with a nonstop drizzle on a day when the forecast originally called for clearing skies and temps in the mid-70s.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates add six players to roster, including OF Polanco
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Saturday’s scouting report: Reds at Pirates
- Harrison shines again as Pirates clip Reds, 2-1
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall