Spring training breakdown: Pirates 3, Phillies 0
Laser show: Batting cleanup, Russell Martin ripped a double down the left-field line to score Andrew McCutchen in the sixth inning for the game's first score. Martin looks poised for a better offensive year, batting .351 this spring.
Dealing: Charlie Morton's sinker was in midseason form. The right-hander allowed just one hit over three shutout innings. His sinker generated swings and misses and groundballs.
Stock up: Bryan Morris' stuff has been consistently impressive. Morris got Cody Asche to strikeout in the sixth with back-to-back whiffs on a 95 mph two-seam fastball and a 91 mph cutter.
Stock down: In his last work of the spring, Pirates closer Jason Grilli's fastball was between 91 and 92 mph Friday. The 37-year-old's fastball averaged 93.5 mph last season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Pirates think Mercer’s defense deserves more credit
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Rockies’ 7-run 7th-inning dooms Pirates in 8-1 loss
- Minor league report: Sadler keeps producing without the hype
- Thinking outside box slows pace of MLB games
- Pirates expect high prices in trade market
- Pirates’ Worley tosses 4-hit shutout vs. Giants
- Pirates notebook: Mercer welcomes chance in No. 2 spot
- Liriano, Pirates beat Giants, inch closer to lead in NL Central