Spring training breakdown: Pirates 3, Phillies 0
Laser show: Batting cleanup, Russell Martin ripped a double down the left-field line to score Andrew McCutchen in the sixth inning for the game's first score. Martin looks poised for a better offensive year, batting .351 this spring.
Dealing: Charlie Morton's sinker was in midseason form. The right-hander allowed just one hit over three shutout innings. His sinker generated swings and misses and groundballs.
Stock up: Bryan Morris' stuff has been consistently impressive. Morris got Cody Asche to strikeout in the sixth with back-to-back whiffs on a 95 mph two-seam fastball and a 91 mph cutter.
Stock down: In his last work of the spring, Pirates closer Jason Grilli's fastball was between 91 and 92 mph Friday. The 37-year-old's fastball averaged 93.5 mph last season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates edge Reds, 3-2, for 4th consecutive victory
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals