Breaking down Friday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Friday's game:
• Gerrit Cole has never faced the Cardinals in a regular-season game, but he did make two starts against them last year in the NL Division Series. In the playoffs, he went 1-1 with a 2.45 ERA and a 0.636 WHIP. Both of those games were played at Busch Stadium.
• Neil Walker (5 for 9, 3 2Bs), Russell Martin (3 for 7, 2 HRs), Jose Tabata (3 for 5, 1 HR), Andrew McCutchen (3 for 9) and Starling Marte (3 for 10, 1 2B, 1 3B) have had some success against Shelby Miller. However, Pedro Alvarez, Clint Barmes, Jordy Mercer, Gaby Sanchez and Travis Snider are a combined 2 for 23 against him.
The Pirates will take on the Cardinals six times this month, an even home-road split, then again for three games at PNC Park on May 9-11. They won't see the defending NL champions again until the second week of July, when the Pirates play a four-game set at Busch Stadium.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Cole to make rehab start at Indianapolis on Monday
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Mile-high edge? Hurdle knows Coors Field
- Rockies’ 7-run 7th-inning dooms Pirates in 8-1 loss
- Biertempfel: One man’s cause to canonize Roberto Clemente
- Martin’s infectious attitude has helped turn around Pirates’ fortunes
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key