Breaking down Friday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Friday's game:
• Gerrit Cole has never faced the Cardinals in a regular-season game, but he did make two starts against them last year in the NL Division Series. In the playoffs, he went 1-1 with a 2.45 ERA and a 0.636 WHIP. Both of those games were played at Busch Stadium.
• Neil Walker (5 for 9, 3 2Bs), Russell Martin (3 for 7, 2 HRs), Jose Tabata (3 for 5, 1 HR), Andrew McCutchen (3 for 9) and Starling Marte (3 for 10, 1 2B, 1 3B) have had some success against Shelby Miller. However, Pedro Alvarez, Clint Barmes, Jordy Mercer, Gaby Sanchez and Travis Snider are a combined 2 for 23 against him.
The Pirates will take on the Cardinals six times this month, an even home-road split, then again for three games at PNC Park on May 9-11. They won't see the defending NL champions again until the second week of July, when the Pirates play a four-game set at Busch Stadium.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Pirates weighing options with Martin
- Pirates acquire Orioles reliever, designate Tabata for assignment
- Sound familiar? Pirates enter offseason trying to solidify 1B position
- Pirates GM Huntington believes his coaching staff will return intact
- Pirates are solid at shortstop with the durable Mercer in play
- Pirates face mound of decisions in offseason