Breaking down Friday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Pirates beat reporterRob Biertempfel's inside look at Friday's game:
• Gerrit Cole has never faced the Cardinals in a regular-season game, but he did make two starts against them last year in the NL Division Series. In the playoffs, he went 1-1 with a 2.45 ERA and a 0.636 WHIP. Both of those games were played at Busch Stadium.
• Neil Walker (5 for 9, 3 2Bs), Russell Martin (3 for 7, 2 HRs), Jose Tabata (3 for 5, 1 HR), Andrew McCutchen (3 for 9) and Starling Marte (3 for 10, 1 2B, 1 3B) have had some success against Shelby Miller. However, Pedro Alvarez, Clint Barmes, Jordy Mercer, Gaby Sanchez and Travis Snider are a combined 2 for 23 against him.
The Pirates will take on the Cardinals six times this month, an even home-road split, then again for three games at PNC Park on May 9-11. They won't see the defending NL champions again until the second week of July, when the Pirates play a four-game set at Busch Stadium.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Worley bounces back after rough start
- Spring training breakdown: Braves 7, Pirates 5
- Forbes: Pirates worth $900 million
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity
- Starting 9: Minor league options can lead to March roster madness
- Pirates notebook: RV is home to pitcher Lincoln for spring training
- Pirates’ Harrison working to use 2014 success as building block
- Pirates, South Korean star Kang optimistic bat will translate to MLB
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen says he’s ‘glad’ to be on field
- No. 2 catcher Stewart’s injury could open door for Sanchez
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Sanchez to break camp with Pirates