Breaking down Friday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Pirates beat reporterRob Biertempfel's inside look at Friday's game:
• Gerrit Cole has never faced the Cardinals in a regular-season game, but he did make two starts against them last year in the NL Division Series. In the playoffs, he went 1-1 with a 2.45 ERA and a 0.636 WHIP. Both of those games were played at Busch Stadium.
• Neil Walker (5 for 9, 3 2Bs), Russell Martin (3 for 7, 2 HRs), Jose Tabata (3 for 5, 1 HR), Andrew McCutchen (3 for 9) and Starling Marte (3 for 10, 1 2B, 1 3B) have had some success against Shelby Miller. However, Pedro Alvarez, Clint Barmes, Jordy Mercer, Gaby Sanchez and Travis Snider are a combined 2 for 23 against him.
The Pirates will take on the Cardinals six times this month, an even home-road split, then again for three games at PNC Park on May 9-11. They won't see the defending NL champions again until the second week of July, when the Pirates play a four-game set at Busch Stadium.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Young guns lead way into pivotal Pirates-Cardinals series
- Liriano struggles as Brewers complete sweep of Pirates
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen takes NL Player of the Month for 4th time
- Pirates, Marlins in talks to play 2016 game in Puerto Rico
- Snider happy to return to new role with Pirates
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 3, 2015
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- Pirates notebook: Left-side lineup intrigue continues
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- Pirates notebook: 6 September call-ups include first-timer Diaz