Previewing Saturday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Pirates beat reporter Karen Price's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Pirates right-hander Francisco Liriano is 4-0 with a 1.16 ERA in four career starts against St. Louis and was 3-0 with a 0.75 ERA in three starts with the Pirates last season against the Cardinals. One St. Louis player who wasn't with the team last year, Jhonny Peralta, has a longer history with Liriano from the American League. Peralta is a lifetime .351 batter against Liriano (13 for 37).
• Joe Kelly will make his 2014 debut for St. Louis. The Cardinals won nine of his last 11 starts in 2013 and 11 of 15 overall. Kelly was 3-1 with a 2.53 ERA against the Pirates last season.
You'll forgive the Cardinals if they've had it with rain delays just four games into the 2014 season. They started the season in Cincinnati and had rain delays totaling 6 hours, 22 minutes Wednesday and Thursday, and Friday's opener against the Pirates also was delayed by rain. The game, scheduled for a 7:05 start, was delayed until 8:10 p.m. after a line of rain moved through the area.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Pirates notebook: Decker leaves game with calf injury
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Braves 2
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Starting 9: As franchise values soar, do owners hold or sell?
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 3