Previewing Saturday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Pirates beat reporter Karen Price's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Pirates right-hander Francisco Liriano is 4-0 with a 1.16 ERA in four career starts against St. Louis and was 3-0 with a 0.75 ERA in three starts with the Pirates last season against the Cardinals. One St. Louis player who wasn't with the team last year, Jhonny Peralta, has a longer history with Liriano from the American League. Peralta is a lifetime .351 batter against Liriano (13 for 37).
• Joe Kelly will make his 2014 debut for St. Louis. The Cardinals won nine of his last 11 starts in 2013 and 11 of 15 overall. Kelly was 3-1 with a 2.53 ERA against the Pirates last season.
You'll forgive the Cardinals if they've had it with rain delays just four games into the 2014 season. They started the season in Cincinnati and had rain delays totaling 6 hours, 22 minutes Wednesday and Thursday, and Friday's opener against the Pirates also was delayed by rain. The game, scheduled for a 7:05 start, was delayed until 8:10 p.m. after a line of rain moved through the area.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Volquez open to re-signing with team
- Pirates find a bridge at end of baseball world in Holdzkom
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Liriano, McCutchen help Pirates to 1-0 win over Braves
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Pirates notebook: Bucs batters seeing doubles
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers
- Pirates, Worley edge Brewers, 1-0, move to cusp of playoffs