Previewing Saturday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Pirates beat reporter Karen Price's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Pirates right-hander Francisco Liriano is 4-0 with a 1.16 ERA in four career starts against St. Louis and was 3-0 with a 0.75 ERA in three starts with the Pirates last season against the Cardinals. One St. Louis player who wasn't with the team last year, Jhonny Peralta, has a longer history with Liriano from the American League. Peralta is a lifetime .351 batter against Liriano (13 for 37).
• Joe Kelly will make his 2014 debut for St. Louis. The Cardinals won nine of his last 11 starts in 2013 and 11 of 15 overall. Kelly was 3-1 with a 2.53 ERA against the Pirates last season.
You'll forgive the Cardinals if they've had it with rain delays just four games into the 2014 season. They started the season in Cincinnati and had rain delays totaling 6 hours, 22 minutes Wednesday and Thursday, and Friday's opener against the Pirates also was delayed by rain. The game, scheduled for a 7:05 start, was delayed until 8:10 p.m. after a line of rain moved through the area.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager