Previewing Saturday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Pirates beat reporter Karen Price's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Pirates right-hander Francisco Liriano is 4-0 with a 1.16 ERA in four career starts against St. Louis and was 3-0 with a 0.75 ERA in three starts with the Pirates last season against the Cardinals. One St. Louis player who wasn't with the team last year, Jhonny Peralta, has a longer history with Liriano from the American League. Peralta is a lifetime .351 batter against Liriano (13 for 37).
• Joe Kelly will make his 2014 debut for St. Louis. The Cardinals won nine of his last 11 starts in 2013 and 11 of 15 overall. Kelly was 3-1 with a 2.53 ERA against the Pirates last season.
You'll forgive the Cardinals if they've had it with rain delays just four games into the 2014 season. They started the season in Cincinnati and had rain delays totaling 6 hours, 22 minutes Wednesday and Thursday, and Friday's opener against the Pirates also was delayed by rain. The game, scheduled for a 7:05 start, was delayed until 8:10 p.m. after a line of rain moved through the area.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates starting pitcher Cole growing in his 1st full major-league season
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’