Previewing Sunday's Pirates-Cardinals game
• Sunday will mark Adam Wainwright's 250th career outing. In his previous start Monday against the Reds, Wainwright notched his 100th career victory. With his next win, he will tie Matt Morris, Larry Jackson and Max Lanier for 10th place on the Cardinals' all-time list.
• This will be Edinson Volquez's second game, but first start of the season. He tossed two innings out of the bullpen Thursday. Manager Clint Hurdle said Volquez will not have a lower pitch count Sunday despite working Thursday.
• 1B Gaby Sanchez has not started any of the Pirates' first five games. Sunday would be a tough time for him to make his debut as Sanchez is hitless in four career at-bats against Wainwright.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Pirates notebook: Decker leaves game with calf injury
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Braves 2
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Starting 9: As franchise values soar, do owners hold or sell?
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut