Previewing Sunday's Pirates-Cardinals game
• Sunday will mark Adam Wainwright's 250th career outing. In his previous start Monday against the Reds, Wainwright notched his 100th career victory. With his next win, he will tie Matt Morris, Larry Jackson and Max Lanier for 10th place on the Cardinals' all-time list.
• This will be Edinson Volquez's second game, but first start of the season. He tossed two innings out of the bullpen Thursday. Manager Clint Hurdle said Volquez will not have a lower pitch count Sunday despite working Thursday.
• 1B Gaby Sanchez has not started any of the Pirates' first five games. Sunday would be a tough time for him to make his debut as Sanchez is hitless in four career at-bats against Wainwright.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Time on the bench gets Snider back into Pirates lineup
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Sanchez makes 1st start at first base with Indy
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Brewers
- Harrison’s 5 RBIs help Pirates pound Brewers
- Pirates’ Axford overcame long odds to reach majors
- Pirates’ losing streak extended to 6 games
- Pirates minor league notebook: Pitcher Heredia finally hitting form
- Rossi: Pirates showing more this summer
- Pirates notebook: Cole on track for return to starting rotation
- Statistically speaking: Pirates, Brewers possess strengths up the middle
- CF McCutchen returns to lineup, but Braves blast fast-fading Pirates