Previewing Sunday's Pirates-Cardinals game
• Sunday will mark Adam Wainwright's 250th career outing. In his previous start Monday against the Reds, Wainwright notched his 100th career victory. With his next win, he will tie Matt Morris, Larry Jackson and Max Lanier for 10th place on the Cardinals' all-time list.
• This will be Edinson Volquez's second game, but first start of the season. He tossed two innings out of the bullpen Thursday. Manager Clint Hurdle said Volquez will not have a lower pitch count Sunday despite working Thursday.
• 1B Gaby Sanchez has not started any of the Pirates' first five games. Sunday would be a tough time for him to make his debut as Sanchez is hitless in four career at-bats against Wainwright.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- Snider happy to return to new role with Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Left-side lineup intrigue continues
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 3, 2015
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates
- No bitter brew for Mercer over reduced playing time after injury
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 2, 2015
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- Pirates notebook: 6 September call-ups include first-timer Diaz
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins