Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Wandy Rodriguez has won four of his past six starts against the Cubs, and has gone 3-1 with a 2.55 ERA since joining the Pirates in July 2012. He should be careful when pitching to Darwin Barney (7 for 22, .693 OPS) and Anthony Rizzo (4 for 13, three RBIs, .708 OPS). Rodriguez has done well against Starlin Castro (5 for 28, .179 slugging percentage).
• Through their first six games, Cubs starting pitchers had a 1.93 ERA, which was tied with the Tigers for the third-best in the majors behind the Braves (1.63) and Brewers (1.64). According to STATS, it is the lowest ERA through six games by Chicago's starters since 1978 (1.88).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Statistically speaking: Rockies’ bullpen suffering meltdowns
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Huntington staying patient as trade deadline approaches
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Saturday’s scouting report: Rockies at Pirates
- Sunday’s scouting report: Rockies at Pirates